Search the forum,

Discuss Draining down heating v Antifreeze? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Need some advice - we have a large garage that has a flat above it with its own (1 year old) oil fired combi. It is not being used since we moved in last year and I turned the heating right down to save cash. It is now just on the frost setting but still seems to be firing up at random times. The boiler was serviced last week.
We are eating through oil which has just topped 67.9p+vat per litre! So I am looking at further ways to reduce my consumption and shutting the system off completely seems to be an option especially since the building is empty...
Worried about freezing and am concerned if I drain down the heating I will end up with rust in the radiators. I have seen this on a construction site refurb that required some harsh chemical flushing when we came to recommission.
Is there an additive which has an anti freeze component that I can pump round and leave the heating side full?

From the EXTERNALLY installed one.....

" Frost protection ▶ The boiler has built in frost protection to protect the boiler, the boiler must have power for this to operate. ▶ If you are leaving the property unoccupied during cold weather, please leave your programmer on constant and your room thermostat set to 15°C. ▶ If the temperature within the boiler falls below 8°C the pump will run to circulate water and prevent the system freezing. ▶ If the temperature within the boiler falls below 4.5°C the boiler will fire immediately, bringing the boiler temperature up to 12°C to avoid the possibility of the system freezing. ▶ This process will be repeated until such time that the boiler temperature does not drop below 4.5°C."

From the EXTERNALLY installed one.....

" Frost protection ▶ The boiler has built in frost protection to protect the boiler, the boiler must have power for this to operate. ▶ If you are leaving the property unoccupied during cold tweather, please leave your programmer on constant and your room thermostat set to 15°C. ▶ If the temperature within the boiler falls below 8°C the pump will run to circulate water and prevent the system freezing. ▶ If the temperature within the boiler falls below 4.5°C the boiler will fire immediately, bringing the boiler temperature up to 12°C to avoid the possibility of the system freezing. ▶ This process will be repeated until such time that the boiler temperature does not drop below 4.5°C."
Thanks for the info . The boiler is an internal instal but I expect the parameters will be broadly similar. This is what I am trying to stop as I have gone through £700 worth of oil since Christmas but I’m a bit wary of draining down... funny how cars sit quite happily with antifreeze in their cooling system and I wondered if some central heating additives have an antifreeze component.

Last edited:
I doubt very much if the frost stat is devouring much oil, if vat is the same as here at 13.5% then £700 of oil at 77C/litre would equal ~ 910 Litres. My 1000 litre oil tank just happens to calibrate at exactly 1 MM/litre so very easy to get quite accurate measurements by just taking a ullage measurement. I used 523 litres from 21/12/21 to 21/2/22, or 8.44 Litres/day, say 86kwh/day or house input of ~65 kwh/16 hour heating day with a 16 year old SE 20kw firebird boiler, house is a 50 year old, 4 bed semi detached. Your consumption does seem pretty high except you are running the heating 24/7.

Thanks for your input. In fact the heating is off in the flat but from what I can see it appears to fire into life when the temp is around 8 deg. Our vat is 5% so I have used 1000 litres since Christmas and I have no way of finding out how much is being wasted on an empty flat and how much we are using in our house.
I had another trawl online and it appears that quite a few holiday home owners who close up over winter use a variety of antifreeze additives specifically for central heating systems so a trip to Screwfix is on the cards...

What was being heated since Christmas to use 1000 litres?, the empty flat? and/or just frost protection?. 1000 litres over say 65 days is a huge amount of oil, ~ 134kwh/day, net.
The frost protection if, as I think it is, monitoring the water temperature, it still wouldn't consume a lot of oil as its only heating the water to 12C which means the rads would emit little or no heat even if the zone valves are opening. If the frost stat is monitoring the air temperature and the thermostat isn't very close to the boiler casing the it will consume more.

Reply to Draining down heating v Antifreeze? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame to call for heat, and the receiver seems to be working ok with green light, but heating is just not firing. I really am not sure what the problem is...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Have a peculiar problem with my Gloworm Flexicom 30cx combi boiler, the main heat exchanger is getting red hot and fault coding on overheat even though the boiler and central heating is not on, i shut the boiler down for a while, clear the fault code and it will be fine again for...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock