Search the forum,

Discuss Double Check Valve on incoming mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
I have two questions that I'm looking for advice on please?
1. I've been asked to fit a double check valve on a new incoming main. I only did my water regs last year and this wasn't stipulated in the reg's? Has this now changed or did miss something? The property in Cheshire. The main's has been signed off without it by the waterboard.
2. Also if the owner pushes to have it fitted, my concern is that fitting this may cause a drop in the flowrate? Does anyone know how much a 22mm double check valve will potentially reduce the flow?
Thanks

Its my understanding that double check valves are only required on the main when there is a risk of backflow e.g. a block of flats. Who's asking you to fit it? If it's the customer just tell them it's not legally required but if they push for it tell them it will have an impact on the flow rate and that it's chargeable if they then want it removing.

Hi all,
I have two questions that I'm looking for advice on please?
1. I've been asked to fit a double check valve on a new incoming main. I only did my water regs last year and this wasn't stipulated in the reg's? Has this now changed or did miss something? The property in Cheshire. The main's has been signed off without it by the waterboard.
2. Also if the owner pushes to have it fitted, my concern is that fitting this may cause a drop in the flowrate? Does anyone know how much a 22mm double check valve will potentially reduce the flow?
Thanks
Double check valves ...the regs are quite clear...purpose to prevent contamination of the mains water supply as a result of back flow from 'dirty' water supply connected usually
semi permenantly to the mains water. like. hose pipes, pressurised heating systems, and a whole host of commercial applications, and in high rise and flats. There is NO need to put one on the mains input to the property. Take the high ground and inform the customer
its also a question of where you put it and what happens when it eventually fails
centralheatking. however if this property is at the bottom of a hill with properties higher up...then just like a block of flats I can see the logic ....almost ..chking

Its my understanding that double check valves are only required on the main when there is a risk of backflow e.g. a block of flats. Who's asking you to fit it? If it's the customer just tell them it's not legally required but if they push for it tell them it will have an impact on the flow rate and that it's chargeable if they then want it removing.
Thanks for the reply, i thought the same, the builders asked the customer to get me to do it. However he has said that the gas guy who is fitting the boiler always fits them on all his installations and requested it. But strangely enough though the same builder has said that he usually does all his cold feeds on domestic installations in 22 instead of 15 as he finds it's got better flow? And then drops them to 15 to the outlets

Backflow prevention in this country at least is always done at the point of use and not the point of entry to the building for reasons already mentioned. A check valve on the incoming mains protects the system outside the house but does nothing for anything inside the property.

Fortunately decent manufacturers and installers alike take backflow prevention seriously and tend to follow the regulations (Handheld bidet manufacturers excepted) and by preventing backflow at point of use takes care of the whole system and makes check valves on the incoming main largely redundant and wholly redundant in a domestic setting.

I wonder what those that feel it's a good idea to put it on the incoming main are thinking? Are they admitting their system could be non-compliant and such a thing is required? I doubt that so what is the thinking behind it? It doesn't protect you from anyone else's mistake on the network either?

Thanks for the reply, i thought the same, the builders asked the customer to get me to do it. However he has said that the gas guy who is fitting the boiler always fits them on all his installations and requested it. But strangely enough though the same builder has said that he usually does all his cold feeds on domestic installations in 22 instead of 15 as he finds it's got better flow? And then drops them to 15 to the outlets
Oh great here we go again, a builder procrastinating about plumbing matters. Not good
thats why there are qualified trades ...gas, plumbing electricity ANYBODY can be a builder
obviously the builder knows better thats why you are on here asking experienced engineers.....centralheatking

Thanks guys for all your help, it's just a bit of a awkward situation as i am presuming the boiler fitter is a qualified plumber like myself? If he is going back to the builder, who is going back to the client, I just needed a bit of clarity from some other qualified tradesmen, because I knew this wasn't right, but the builder was adamant.

But I won't be fitting it and I will check the pressure and flow after I've commissioned the system, just incase it gets fitted after I have left and there is a drop in the flow rate or pressure resulting from this.

Thanks again

You could install a swing check valve must be installed horizontally this wouldn’t cut down on the flow as it’s nearly full bore

Reply to Double Check Valve on incoming mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock