Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need replacement radiator valves? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SCGH

Hi

I am very new to all this, so please excuse what is likely a very simplistic newbie question!

Our radiators seem to either run very hot or stone cold. It is sometimes possible to achieve a warm radiator (around setting number 2 on the valve), but only if the adjustment is a tiny fraction turn of the valve, and is extremely difficult to achieve. I don't want the radiators too hot for my kids rooms, as they are very young. But they often bump the valve, which means the radiator either stays cold or gets too hot and this is becoming very frustrating.

All radiator valves in this house seem to work in this way, whereas in our previous homes #6 was hot, off always cold, and the numbers in between were different degrees of warm as you would expect.

Our house has a water tank in the loft and a Potterton boiler downstairs. Our previous houses had combi boilers, so I am not sure if this makes a difference.

When hot, all parts of the radiator are hot, so no air seems to be in them.

So my questions are:
  1. Should my central heating system work like this?
  2. If not, what could the problem be?
  3. If the valves need replacing, can I do this myself?

Thanks!

Thermostatic radiator valves don't vary the temperature of the water in the radiator. They shut off the flow of water into the radiator when the set room temperature is reached. The radiators will only be warm when the room temperature has been reached and the radiator is starting to cool down.

Hmmm. I don't think they are thermostatic vavles as the valves just have 1 to 6 on them, and the main thermostat is in our hallway (Hive system).

As I mentioned, in our prior homes, we would have the radiators set to bet warm (usually setting 3 or 4). But in this house, anything above 2 is hot (too hot to keep your hand on the radiator) or below 2 is stone cold. Occasionally I can fluke it and somewhere around 2 it will be warm (when the radiators in other rooms are burning hot), but it is is hard to find this exact spot on the valve and any tiny adjustment and it will be lost.

Surely this can't be normal? Surely I should be able to set to 6 for hot , 'snowflake' symbol for cold and 3 or 4 for warm?

The question is, what could the problem be and can I do anything to fix it myself?

Thanks

Sounds like thermostatic rad valves. There is no reason why a valve has numbers on it, unless for heat settings. Ordinary valves do not adjust heat, only for manually reducing flow or turning to off. The rad with a TRV will sometimes be very hot, sometimes warm or luke warm or ice cold. It depends on the room temperature. For example, - if you turn your rad TRV to a mid setting, say number 3, - if the room is not up to that temperature then the TRV will remain open inside letting the hot heating water flow through it & the rad will feel hot. Once the room heat comes near the TRV setting, the TRV will close gradually off & finally totally off - rad will feel only warm shortly & perhaps cold after half an hour. Then when the room falls slightly below the TRV setting the TRV will open & suddenly rad will be hot to touch again .... & so the cycle continues.
If your rads don't vary in heat automatically, then you might be better replacing the entire TRVs (thermostatic rad valves).

Last edited:
i have seen folks trying to diy but ended up causing more harm than good. you can diy if you know what you r doing, if not, call a plumber.

Definitely TRV's. You don't have to worry if the rads are cold at times, they are doing their job. Can finely adjust them by using a remote thermometer in central position in each room and adjust the valves so that you achieve 19-21 degrees or what's comfortable for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do I need replacement radiator valves? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, I need to replace a radiator in the kitchen, the 10mm copper has split so using this opertunaty to replace it with a towel one and also need to remove both valves and make the pipes shorter. Its a gravity fed system and the last radiator in the system , I have a bung kit, i know i can...
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that has previously been extended. In one of the bedrooms that has been extended there are 2 radiators, one which looks like it was fitted when the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock