Search the forum,

Discuss Do big companies have different policies??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I seem to have been asked to deal with a spate of gas leaks in the last few days.

Lady called me last night saying SGN had cut her off quoting

"1.5mbar drop over 2 mins - no smell of gas - suspect gas fire"

do they have no tolerance as a company line??

Anyone know??

I know not !
I would think that we all are subject to the same regs.

They may have a company policy that differs, some do on electrical installations but if you go and reinstate it off that information ( obviously having tested it yourself), you'd be in the right surely ?

Are they just mega over cautious and paranoid ?

A relative of mine fits gas meters ( domestics), he has to have the tightness test witnessed by the customer and have them sign to say they saw it.

They have not got a clue what he's doing half the time but he has to do it because it's company policy

Sgn are gas emergency so they will not put it back if there's any drop. They also don't have appliances so can't test them tofo

Thanks both. You see this was my understanding of emergencies but apparently the guy that capped off went round to the appliances with what sounded like a sniffer. Sounds too involved if they should just turn off.

If the customer rang them about a smell of gas and they tested it and found 0.5mb it would still go off and technically when you go to check it out later you cant leave any drop either as it has been noted as a smell of gas so you need to find and fix it.
They will use a gasco and have a quick scout around appliances to give you an idea where it is but they won't fix it.
It is a free emergency service not a free repair service which many householders seem to think.

There was no report of a smell apparently owner thought her gas bill was high

Well no they found that the meter was busted but after installing the new one the drop was noted

I work for quite a big firm and we have a few things in place that are more strict than gas regs. Zero drop policy on tightness testing for one! We still record 'NCS' as a business too... Few more additional rules but im battered and cant remember them!

To be honest that's fine as long as custard doesn't pay for it

Its mainly all social housing so comes out of Da Budget

I work for quite a big firm and we have a few things in place that are more strict than gas regs. Zero drop policy on tightness testing for one! We still record 'NCS' as a business too... Few more additional rules but im battered and cant remember them!

I'm the same. Zero drop policy is implemented. Pain in rear having to lift tenants floors for a 0.5mb drop somewhere.
We also note all previous NCS's listed as observation on CP12's

I'm glad I'm not the only one who still gives advisories/NCS/observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do big companies have different policies??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer condemned the chimney and I remember him also saying something about it needing some sort of box fitted into the fire recess but I can't remember the...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock