Search the forum,

Discuss Different Pipe Sizes in CH System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've recently moved into a house and was surprised to see that some rads are connected with 15mm while others use 10mm, there is even one rad that has one of each. While I'm no stranger to CH systems and appreciate that di8fferent pipe sizes can be used to maintain flow and pressure, I've never come across a mixture like this before.

Its a 2 storey house and the system has 12 rads working off a Ferroli F30 combi boiler. The rads are what I would consider as fairly standard sizes for the type of house and the room size etc..

The system appears to work OK but it seems odd to be supplying reasonably large rads with such small bore pipes and having to step-up to 15mm to make the connections. Maybe some of you more experienced folk can put my mind at rest.

Cheers
Rambler

Hi,

It appears to work OK but only with everything cranked up to near the max, with really cold weather I'm not sure it will be up to the job. I was wondering if the choice of such small pipes was perhaps restricting the flow to the rads and thereby limiting their performance. I appreciate that the boiler is not a world-beater and if its hampered by a less than efficient pipe system I may need to consider some major changes in the not too distant future.

Cheers

All it will do is reduce the KW each radiator is capable of producing

Installed correctly, 10mm copper will carry nearly 10,000 btu. That's quite a big rad! Unfortunatly, most microbore was thrown in.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Most of the 10mm pipework in embedded in the walls behind the plasterboard so I can't confirm the quality of installation but I have my suspicions. We'll see how it performs if the weather gets colder.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Different Pipe Sizes in CH System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock