Discuss Condensing combi-boiler and Wood-burning stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

agent_scully

Hi

I have a five-bedroom Victorian terrace house which includes a loft conversion, so on 3 floors. Approx 5 years ago I had a Worcester condensing combi boiler installed which heats my house sufficiently.

However with the continuing rise in gas costs, I am now paying 20% of my monthly income just on heating costs.

I have therefore looked into installing a woodburning stove in one of my reception rooms downstairs and connecting it to the heating system to heat the radiators.

Is it possible to re-route some of the plumbing from a downstairs radiator to run thru the back boiler of the woodburner to heat the house? Will I need a pump of some kind? I do not want it to supply hot water as the combi is efficient enough for that. Would there be any difficulty in having the woodburner only supply radiators or does it need to do both radiators and hot water?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated as I am at a loss as to how I can continue to provide a warm home to my children with gas prices rising again this month.

Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
HI, it's not that simple you'll need storage/expansion for hot water. Then valve/pump arrangement to switch to heating circuit. There plenty of schematics available online but its not something you should do yourself.
There great when done right but very dangerous when done wrong.

Hi

I have a five-bedroom Victorian terrace house which includes a loft conversion, so on 3 floors. Approx 5 years ago I had a Worcester condensing combi boiler installed which heats my house sufficiently.

However with the continuing rise in gas costs, I am now paying 20% of my monthly income just on heating costs.

I have therefore looked into installing a woodburning stove in one of my reception rooms downstairs and connecting it to the heating system to heat the radiators.

Is it possible to re-route some of the plumbing from a downstairs radiator to run thru the back boiler of the woodburner to heat the house? Will I need a pump of some kind? I do not want it to supply hot water as the combi is efficient enough for that. Would there be any difficulty in having the woodburner only supply radiators or does it need to do both radiators and hot water?

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated as I am at a loss as to how I can continue to provide a warm home to my children with gas prices rising again this month.

Many thanks!

I'm in exactly the same boat or house, so to speak, if you have found any other info could you please forward it on to me and i'll do the same.
Mick

No it doesn't work like that. Adding multiple heat sorces such as woodburner / solar panels / GSHP etc is perfectly possible but you need to change your cylinder etc to a Heat Bank (Heatstore) system. These sytems are the preferred recognised way of doing this and come with pumps and controls as needed.

Last edited:
No it doesn't work like that. Adding multiple heat sorces such as woodburner / solar panels / GSHP etc is perfectly possible but you need to change your cylinder etc to a Heat Bank (Heatstore) system. These sytems are the preferred recognised way of doing this and come with pumps and controls as needed.

I really am an amateur here but in my head I was thinking if I connected the return pipe from the CH through the wood burner and then on to the boiler but with some sort of thermo switch on the wood burner that switched the pump on inside the boiler when the water pipe in the wood burner was hot this would stop the water in the wood burner getting too hot. It wouldn't get the rads mad hot like the boiler but just gently warm the rad's over the course of the night, I'm guessing the pump would kick in sporadically.

Is this a crazy idea or has it been done?

what cylinder, hes running a combi! Dont even try to adapt what you have already on your own. Call in an expert on solid fuel heating and take their advice and let them do the install, its not diy especially if you start considering unvented cylinders etc.

You cant connect a wood burning boiler into a combi boiler system as it is a sealed system (pressurised)

It is possible, but a competant plumber/ heating engineer would need to redesign your system to allow somewhere for the heat to go in a loss of power situation. You can't just rely on a stat and pump.

Hi

Try this site - [DLMURL="http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm"]dunsleyheat uk manufacturers of multifuel stoves, range cookers, boilers...[/DLMURL] it gives info and plans for connecting two systems together - not a simple job! However, I did this myself some years ago although it was not a straightforward affair. I have a back boiler and oil system connected together. As mentioned already, can be dangerous if not done properly - a sealed system with unchecked boiling water = explosion! Good place to start for info though - a neutraliser will connect your system together but not sure about the combi though, you may have to include a hot water cylinder and a feed and expansion tank. It MUST be done properly, and you have to consider power failure / pump failure, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you WHPES. Wood burner must be on an open vented system, Therfore you cannot connect up to any other sealed system. Best done indirectly and use a thermal store. Also important that you get the correct size of wood burner for your requirements, or it can all go very wrong.
My Advise is, if your not sure go on a HETAS approved training course for solid fuel appliances on wet systems, Or use a registered HETAS member with the qualification.

Nice 1 guys I appreciate the replies and the info is great. I did think about the power failure situation and your right an expansion tank and pressure relief valve to outside is essential. Don't worry I'm not going to jump in and start rearranging pipes I'm just trying to build a picture and understand it better I plan on running these idea's past the guy who services my boiler every year I just want to be better prepared. I've always been fascinated by plumbing more so heating systems just wish I'd went down that path when I left school instead I went down the cabling path which doesn't pay anywhere near as well. BUT just imagine heating your whole house for free... got to be worth pursuing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Condensing combi-boiler and Wood-burning stove in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all great site, I've just moved house and am taking my wood stove boiler with me as it's only a couple of years old, it has 4 outlets on back...
Replies
Views
D
I'm looking for a heating engineers/old school plumber to put in a Combi boiler (possibly Intergas) replacing very old open vent system in...
Replies
Views
Is it possible to install a wood burning stove with an air to water heat pump? I was speaking to a few plumbers who have said this is not possible...
Replies
Views
My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
I have had a problem where 2 downstair radiators are not heating up the same as the rest of the radiators around the house, now previously i had...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock