Search the forum,

Discuss Condensation or leak? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I live in a shared ownership property and had no issues in a “protected” period of a year for defects. It is 18th month of my living here. I was away on holidays and now found out this on my return (in a hallway next to storage area). Do you think it is a leak? Or just condensation? What can I do myself? How much plumber costs for such issues? :(

94B8F244-F95B-44EB-AB2B-990C48340AEE.jpeg

Certainly looks like damp traveling up the wall. Can be caused by a leaking pipe in the floor. Or maybe something on the other side of the wall leaking. Have you noticed pressure on your boiler dropping at all? Or if your onba water meter, if everything is turned off, can you see the dial on the meter spinning?

Pressure on the boiler is 1.4 bar, within recommended limits. On the other side of the wall no dump but bathroom is adjacent (?) so maybe some pipes from the bathroom.
Reported it but the housing association will say it is beyond snagging period I am sure. I just wonder if I can leave it for a week. Will observe if dump not going up for next 2 days.

Just had a share from a neighbour : “This looks like when I had a flood under the kitchen flooring. Turned out one of the central pipes had a hole in and was sweeping into the insulation and then under my flooring and upmthe walls”. Oh no :(

It is a sign of water seeping up the wall, do you have any pipes burried in the floor or walls? When you say house share, do you mean help to buy and was it a brand new house when you bought it?

I live in a shared ownership property and had no issues in a “protected” period of a year for defects.

A year is a reasonable time to report visible snags but this is in a different category, i.e. a hidden defect that has only just made itself apparent after 18 months. I doubt you'll have a problem with getting the housing association to sort it out providing you report it to them without delay. Seek advice from the Citizen's Advice Bureau in the unlikely event that the HA doesn't play nice.

Last edited:
A year is a reasonable time to report visible snags but this is in a different category, i.e. a hidden defect that has only just made itself apparent after 18 months. I doubt you'll have a problem with getting the housing association to sort it out providing you report it to them without delay. Seek advice from the Citizen's Advice Bureau in the unlikely event that the HA doesn't play nice.

Thank you for your response. Of course they do not play nice - just sent me a standard response that as it it within my flat I am responsible to investigate first. And they will only reimburse the cost if the leak is from the communal area. :( I will need to go to CAB.... poor quality materials and dubious quality of work, overpriced flat, renting 70% but responsible for all defects within. :(

Now there is also a leak in the storage! I was away = not using water, so it must be communal pipe. What do you think?
I go round in circles with HA, what a nightmare.
Any idea how much plumbers assessment for such stuff is? How long it takes? 2h? Before I get anywhere with HA the leak can get worse so I cannot afford waiting :(

Attachments

• E42920ED-7E1A-402F-B982-ED6774BD3B8C.jpeg
    E42920ED-7E1A-402F-B982-ED6774BD3B8C.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Reply to Condensation or leak? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock