Discuss Changing hot basin tap in downstairs wc with and immersion heater/backboiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

evilkensdad

Hi all,

Ive got to change a downstairs wc hot basin tap for my mother in law.

She has an old back boiler in the living room and an immersion heater in an upstairs bedroom.

Was just wondering, will i need to switch the boiler off, and drain down the entire immersion heater to accomplish the tap change?

Many thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

:wink_smile:

1. Check the hot tap pipework, there may already be an isolation valve fitted. If so, just turn off and change tap.

2. If no isolation valve, then you need to shut off the hot supply. Its almost certainly a traditional system with cold water storage cistern (CWSC) in loft and hot water cylinder (HWC) in airing cupboard. If so there will be a pipe leading from the base of the CWSC to the bottom of the HWC. This pipe is likely to have a gate valve (red disc handle). Shut this off by turning clockwise facing the handle until it will turn no more. This shuts off the cold supply to the HWC, and in turn the hot supply from the HWC. Turn on tap in WC to drain pipework (shouldn't be much) then change tap, using old towels or a wet and dry vacuum cleaner to remove any remaining water in pipework.

Gate valve mentioned above may be stiff. If so, take disc handle off and try and turn with a spanner applied to the flats of the spindle. If its really stiff you may have to get someone in to change the valve. Its also possible that when closed it will be difficult to open again. Same remedy, but again if it won't open, get it changed. When opening it, open fully (until handle won't go anti-clockwise any more) and then close by half a turn. Sometimes helps them not to get so stiff again.

Cheers steadyon,

thought that might be the case, i dont have much experience with old style systems,

No valve below tap unfortunately, so i'll isolate the cold supply to HWC and drain down, then replace both taps (remebering to isolate cold supply in also lol) and replace with isolating valves below new taps.

Many thanks for confirming what i thought i already knew but was filled with self doubt and had to check with someone more confident lol!

Kev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing hot basin tap in downstairs wc with and immersion heater/backboiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock