Search the forum,

Discuss Change radiators for new ones ? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

This winter seemed colder than last so I am thinking of replacing my central heating radiators for new ones.

The existing radiators are probably around 20 years old, they have TRV's fitted and most are double panel. they all get hot and the combi boiler is working fine.
Would there be any benefit in replacing these radiators ? I would need 6 for upstairs and another 5 downstairs so this would be a costly job.

Would the new radiators be more efficient and/or give off heat more effectively ?
is it worth just getting the system flushed ?

many thanks

If everything is functioning as it should and the radiators are correctly sized you wouldn't feel a great improvement in renewing all the radiators. If feeling warmer is the requirement you may just need to reassess the boiler controls/settings or turn the TRV's up a setting.

Thanks for the info,

I will probably do as you suggest, ie increase temperature at the boiler and check settings on TRV's

Just thought that with energy prices increasing maybe new/modern radiators could have been more energy efficient.

many thanks

To be fair if you splashed out on aluminium radiators you might feel an improvement in terms of heat up time and an efficiency improvement but radiator technology hasn't really changed.

Let's generously say it knocked 10% off your annual bill, you may have to spend a couple of grand for the conversion so it'll take a while to recoup.

Thanks for that, yeah, as you say not really a cost effective proposition to change the radiators
in view of the time it would take to recoup the ( extensive ) outlay.

I will see how it goes when I increase boiler temperature and turn up the TRV's

thanks

I have a slightly different opinion your comfort levels would benefit from the radiators being changed 20 year old radiators are not efficient, we now design heating systems to heat a home at 50 DT, 20 years ago it Was 70 DT the only way to achieve this is with modern larger output radiators running at lower temperatures, but don't expect major fuel cost saving unless you investing in insulating and draught proofing your home and upgrading your heating controls. Kop

You're right to make that point KOP but modern radiators themselves aren't really more efficient as they're still made of the same materials and roughly the same designs but of course oversizing them and running them at a lower DT will allow them to run more efficently.

Thanks for the input.

I suppose the question is does the outlay justify the benefit in increased efficiency and a saving in gas costs.

I think the answer for me is no it does not, so I will stick with what I have at the moment and simply have the central heating on longer and/or raise the temperature at the boiler.

You're right to make that point KOP but modern radiators themselves aren't really more efficient as they're still made of the same materials and roughly the same designs but of course oversizing them and running them at a lower DT will allow them to run more efficently.
Yes. Essentially you could get much the same result by fitting new-secondhand-larger-output-at-a-given-temperature radiators and running the boiler colder.

QRL defines some of its radiators as high-efficiency with efficiency defined as being a high output per kilo of steel. By which metric, the most efficient radiators are, of course, the ones you already have.

Reply to Change radiators for new ones ? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to swap a K1 radiator with a P+, the same size on a combi system. Can i turn off both valves, remove the existing radiator, put the new one on the existing brackets, and reconnect the existing valves, and then top up. Would draining the entire system be necessary? If draining is not...
Replies
Views
have a mixture of radiators range between 25 & 60 years old.Im having a new boiler fitted, do I change all the rads or just the old ones? Cheers
Replies
Views
Hullo everyone its a while since I posted on here basically because i have had no plumbing issues however I have one now. My son recently moved into a house which has cellar within which is a radiator which is part of the central heating system. The rad looks old, rusty and horrible as does the...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
D
Hi. Turned my heating on for the 1st time today, i bled every radiator as haven't done it since last winter. upstairs worked fine but an hour or 2 later I noticed downstairs was still cold. I looked for some advice online and turned the trv's off and locksheilds for the upstairs only and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock