Search the forum,

Discuss Cant see the wood for the trees in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
This is one of them, am i missing something ?

Customers ensuite cistern ball valve keeps letting by during the night (or thats when see hears it most just a small dribble lol.
so i put a new fluid master side entry yesterday, same thing happens last night
so i put another one in today, hoping its a faulty new valve, oh no , shes just rung and this ones letting by.

pressure spikes , maybe , never had anything like this before, any ideas boys.

thank you

Well probably not faulty valve,,maybe syphon with split in it letting water level drop over period of time when not in use or if seating syphon ,maybe letting by into pan

That did cross my mind ,the water level definatly rises, but not enough to come back into the pan. Its baffled me lol

Small uncomplicated setup ,or lots of long pipe runs involved ?
Does she only heat at night ?
Water meter ?

had one doing this replaced syphon and valve with fluid master kit and it stopped

Lol, pipes everywhere, not sure about meter, its local ish to me so i know mains pressure is around 6 bar or more, started off a problem at night but it does happen through the day, like i say this a pressure prob i am sure .

Like you say pressure , any crud at bottom of cistern ?
( may only move thru system when pressure high / flow rate good )

Thinking crud ,getting stuck in seal surface
(If they can be dismantled these days )

Last edited:
No nothing comes into pan.. Level is well high so valve should have knocked off, like i say it happened on the first valve ,admittantly an old one but now on two brand new fluid masters

Living in a high pressure HA house a replacement Valve lasted a 1 day after tennants wound their stop tap fully open . Sudden shut off slam was killing valve !
-- More isn't always best --

Just fill the cistern up and then dry the water around the top part of inside of bowl. Then use a torch to shine on back of bowl to see if there is a trickle of water. Seen the odd syphon with a crack in it & obviously loads of these modern flush valves letting water pass

I'd swap the siphon for a new one just in case its letting a very small amount pass by which over time is letting the water level drop, and maybe fit a prv and inline strainer on the feed

Thanks for all advice chaps, i am back on monday, but customer says defo no water coming back into pan .

Update for anybody interested.... Went back yesterday and just put a torbeck on , with this jobs history i never in a million years thought it would work. Just rung customer everything's ok.(fingers crossed)

Had this problem years ago with a brand I forget. Changed it for a new one same happened. Changed it to a siamp problem solved. It was the type with a cup float and haven't used them since

Torbeck valves are terrible. The older types were great, but whatever they changed with them caused them to leak. I tend to go for Fluidmaster or Wirquin

siamp have to many moving parts .still trying to work out how they work with all those levers

siamp have to many moving parts .still trying to work out how they work with all those levers

Got asked if I could put one back together after customer played with it, told him it would be quicker to get in his car go and buy a new one and come back! Horrid things!

the standing cold water pressure in the pipes at night is always slightly higher anyway as nobody is using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cant see the wood for the trees in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock