Discuss Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new lean on a very controversial thread.

many years ago over 45 in fact I was installing heating systems for commercial and residential, some 30 or so started trading as sole trader, Gas work was included. In 1993 I became a registered corgi member and remained on that register for a few years paying my dues. I stopped gas work for two reasons, firstly Gas work was only ancillary to the contracts and having to take responsibility for a whole existing installation on the basis of my own sub assembly responsibilities became an issue with two residential customers in particular, and made me feel uncomfortable. ( i condemned an existing gas fire in a property, established through a standard gas test). Secondly the fees were increasing and it did not seem to make economic sense.

A lot of people seem to be driven in their viracitude by the fact that they have to pay quite large sums to remain on the register and therefore appear resentful, however the anger I believe may be misplaced. The issue after all is one of GAS SAFETY, not club membership.

Nevertheless as I have been deemed competent by being a once registered and fully paid member of Corgi for several years, do the members consider that I am still deemed legally competent to install a boiler in my own property for my own use now that I guess I am not on the current register as a paid up member.

In my opinion
A person passes their ACS and has a wealth of expereince, they register and work on gas for 2 years. In year 3 they decide they want to try something else and do not continue with their registration. Two days later their boiler is due for a service, can they do it?

the answer is morally NO. (protection of customers interests)

A new lean on a very controversial thread.

many years ago over 45 in fact I was installing heating systems for commercial and residential, some 30 or so started trading as sole trader, Gas work was included. In 1993 I became a registered corgi member and remained on that register for a few years paying my dues. I stopped gas work for two reasons, firstly Gas work was only ancillary to the contracts and having to take responsibility for a whole existing installation on the basis of my own sub assembly responsibilities became an issue with two residential customers in particular, and made me feel uncomfortable. ( i condemned an existing gas fire in a property, established through a standard gas test). Secondly the fees were increasing and it did not seem to make economic sense.

A lot of people seem to be driven in their viracitude by the fact that they have to pay quite large sums to remain on the register and therefore appear resentful, however the anger I believe may be misplaced. The issue after all is one of GAS SAFETY, not club membership.

Nevertheless as I have been deemed competent by being a once registered and fully paid member of Corgi for several years, do the members consider that I am still deemed legally competent to install a boiler in my own property for my own use now that I guess I am not on the current register as a paid up member.

In my opinion

the answer is morally NO. (protection of customers interests)

customer interests? its their own boiler

no dude u should not do that ...u need some knowledgeable guys or registered plz have them

he couldnt pay knowledgeable or registered , he would have to pay a registered person by law. However if he was kneoledgeable and had the relevant competences he would be fine, also law

I couldn't resist another stab at this, seeing as its dragged on for so long.

My opinion is that to work on a gas appliance (unpaid) you do not have to be registered but you do have to show competence.

After all Corgi and Gas safe are just a list of competent engineers?

My understanding of competence is someone who can safely carry out the work?

My question to throw in there is that I don't think you have to be Gas safe registered but you would need to be ACS current otherwise how do you know if you are working to "current" guidelines?

On my last renewal the only change was that I can now work on bigger meters and pipework?
but what if a more important change to the regulations was to happen? Would I be aware of it and could I still be deemed competent?

I couldn't resist another stab at this, seeing as its dragged on for so long.

My opinion is that to work on a gas appliance (unpaid) you do not have to be registered but you do have to show competence.

After all Corgi and Gas safe are just a list of competent engineers?

My understanding of competence is someone who can safely carry out the work?

My question to throw in there is that I don't think you have to be Gas safe registered but you would need to be ACS current otherwise how do you know if you are working to "current" guidelines?

On my last renewal the only change was that I can now work on bigger meters and pipework?
but what if a more important change to the regulations was to happen? Would I be aware of it and could I still be deemed competent?
you are correct, however its not compulsory to have your acs to prove competence but its difficult to prove without it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
I have a friend who has offered to fit my new boiler to save on costs. He is competent but is retired and no longer gas safe registered. Is he...
Replies
Views
Just browsing the threads and this one here // www .plumbersforums. net /threads /bldg-regs-compliance-interlock.103043/ caught my eye. 1. If a...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
W
Help. I am trying to sell my house and just discovered from local searches that my plumber - who WAS Oftec registered when he installed the...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock