Search the forum,

Discuss Can I fit a boiler, and then have it certified by a qualified gas fitter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hayjay

Hi,
was wondering if it's possible to install a new boiler myself and then pay to have it checked by a certified gas safe registered engineer.
I'm currently a Petty officer in the Royal navy serving on a nuclear submarine. I have a Hons degree in marine engineering and I am a CAT B nuclear Engineer. I think what I'm trying to say is I have 8 yrs experience in multi engineering disciplines i.e hydraulics, electrics, Gas turbines, and nuclear propulsion. If I had the time I would love to qualify as a certified gas safe engineer.At the moment I spend a lot of time away. I'm not trying to save money, but by fitting the boiler myself it's just to have the pleasure of installing a boiler and possibly installing the central heating in my self-build house when I finish in the navy. If it's a no go, then I'll look into becoming gas safe certified myself.
Many thanks for reading this.

Let`s turn this around. How would you feel about letting a gas safe engineer work on your gas turbines?

I am also going to make you an offer for £400 but that's also for 50% of the risk.

my cousins a nuclear physicist, a manager @rolls royce submarines, just not long come back doing something in 'new england' for the u.s fleet for 2 years. might be that gas turbine power stuff one gets a slight hint on and other propulsion secrets.lol
might get him into trouble now...woops

no, he wouldnt fit his own boiler either!.

thanks for all your replies. I just wondered. OK I'll become a gas fitter and then I can rip people off.........

thanks for all your replies. I just wondered. OK I'll become a gas fitter and then I can rip people off.........

Look forward to inviting you in to our corrupt club, when your qualified that is......

woooww!, so you expected you could do it lawfully and some one would sign it off for £50 and jobs a goodun!

does not work that way same as i cant be a submariner for the week on your sub, to see what its like. could you sign me in? just want to see what its like, no one will know!

Don`t throw your dummy out the pram! Once you`ve done the training you will understand why you got the responses you did.

Hi

i have my 25m swimming badge, I have swam in my pyjamas in the big pool and also collected plastic bricks from the bottom of the pool.

I have a bath every night and can hold my breath underwater for 43 seconds.

Infact There has never been a day in my life that I haven't been in contact with water.

My question is, can I drive your submarine?

Well im not picking up his toys and putting them back in the pram :)

Thats engineers for you, got a set of spanners, a degree and think rules dont apply to them.

Get yourself certified mate. May have a cold couple of years whilst getting certified but after that you can do your own boiler, own central heating and everything. When you've finished, get yourself to college for your electrical, we're on a roll here, 15 years time you will have a great self build!

It was about as called for as me saying I'm looking forward to joining the navy so I get to do all my mates up the......

ok ok im joking I wouldn't go there.. Although sub mariners do like it deeper.

but honestly after all the time effort and expense put into being qualified people won't just put their name to anything it could cost someone's livelihood or worse a life

Putting aside all the comments which are probably justified, the answer is no.

I may be wrong here so please someone correct me if so, but you could hang the boiler and connect up the water pipes but legally cannot touch the gas, flue or electrics, no matter how competent you are in a completely different trade.

You would then have to get in a Gas Safe Registered Engineer to finish the job. Finding one who would be happy putting his name to your work would be difficult, hence the prices being batted about.

A GSR Engineer has gone through a lot of training to be able to work on gas. Every time he or she signs off a gas appliance he or she is putting their name to it. No one with an ounce of sense would want to do that.

I can rip people off.........

I’ll remind you a part of the Royal Navy Ethos.
7. Core Values: What we (Royal Navy) stand for
Our core values should be displayed at all times by all of us, whether we are on duty or
ashore with our friends and families. They should recognise our values and understand that
we are different from society and justifiably proud of the high standards we uphold in support
of our country.

a. Commitment. Selfless personal commitment is the foundation of Naval Service and
enables us to demonstrate a sense of authority and purpose. We must be prepared to
serve whenever and wherever we are required, and to do our very best at all times. This
means that we accept that we will be expected to put the needs of the mission, and our
team, ahead of our own interests.

b. Courage. Courage creates the strength on which fighting spirit, that essential
element which turns a fighting force into a winning force, depends. We must have the
physical courage to carry on with our task regardless of danger and discomfort, and the
moral courage always to do what we know is right.

c. Discipline. The Naval Service must be a disciplined service if it is to be effective. We
must therefore obey all lawful orders from our superiors. Self discipline is fundamental;
being able to discipline ourselves will earn us the respect and trust of others, and equip
us to cope with the difficult, individual decisions we will have to make during our service.

d. Respect For Others. Each one of us has the exceptional responsibility of bearing
arms, either collectively as part of a unit or individually, and when necessary of using
controlled force. In addition, we will sometimes have to live and work under extremely
difficult conditions. In such circumstances, it is particularly important that we show the
greatest respect, tolerance understanding, and compassion for others regardless of their
personal background; leadership and teamwork depend on it, and we have the
fundamental right to expect to be treated with the same degree of respect and dignity by
all with whom we serve.

e. Integrity. Integrity is that quality of an individual’s character that encompasses
honesty, sincerity, reliability, and unselfishness. It is an essential requirement of both
leadership and comradeship. Unless we maintain our integrity, others will not trust us and
teamwork will suffer. Putting this integrity into practice sometimes requires us to show
moral courage, because our decisions may not always be popular. This is not always
easy; however, doing the right thing will always earn respect.

f. Loyalty. The Nation, the Naval Service and those with whom we serve rely on our
commitment, dedication and support. We must therefore be loyal to our leaders, those
that we lead, our team, and our duty. Pass this test and we will never let others down.

I can rip people off.........

Also...

16. Standards of Conduct
The Royal Navy has an enviable and unrivalled reputation for operational success, both
past and present. It is an enduring feature of which everyone can be justifiably proud but we
should not take this for granted. Awareness and continuity of our ethos is fundamental to
maintaining this success in the future. Regardless of your rank or position, in terms of ‘RN
Ethos – The Spirit to Fight and Win’, you therefore have a duty to: understand it; recognise the
pressures that could undermine it; and encourage, foster and preserve it. As members of the
Royal Navy we are expected to conduct ourselves to a high standard at all times. A handful
of simple guidelines should help:
a. We must obey:
• Civil Law, wherever we are serving.
• Service Law, which includes additional offences that are required to maintain
discipline and thus operational effectiveness; for example, absence without leave,
and insubordination
• The laws of armed conflict whenever we are on operations.
b. We must also avoid:
• Any activity which undermines our professional ability, or puts others at risk – in
particular the misuse of drugs and abuse of alcohol.
• Any behaviour which damages the trust, confidence and respect between us and
others in our team and unit. In particular, we must not:
• harass, bully, or discriminate against anyone, on any grounds.
• behave in a manner which could undermine good order and naval discipline
or tarnish the Naval Service’s long standing reputation.

the answer to the question is ..... yes you can.

you can hang your own boiler, you can pay someone to sign it off (it happens on sites every day) but you wont find many will admit it. its a money thing.

you may find someone who will unlawfully 'help you out'. but, the lads on this forum want to see things done right, keep within the law and protect their reputation as the consequences are just not worth jeopridising a career for!...

if your lucky to find someone who will do that for you and it goes wrong in whatever way, you will not find them for dust and the responsibilty lies with you trying to defend yourself with the courts as the 'fitter' will know how to cover his tracks, you wont.
another one to note is, the chances of them not actually being registered legitimatley is something you take a risk on as thats easily faked too!.

your call......

Is that seriously your attitude. Wind it in jack. You cannot prove your competence in the gas industry, no matter what engineering certs you might have.

This makes diy gas work illegal which is why we're telling you no. NOT because we want to rip you off. The reason the boys have quoted hundreds is because if your boiler was to be commissioned it would be coming off the wall and then refitted. That way the fitter would be confident it was installed correctly. You might be a big shot submariner but in the gas world that counts for chuff all.

I'm giving you 24 hours to retract your rip off comment.

If I see nothing by 2130hrs tomorrow I WILL remove your account.

Clocks ticking.

you get submariners pay, so you can easily afford to pay a gas technician to put the boiler on the wall, pipe in the gas and you can come along later and run all your rad feeds up to the boiler. then he can pop back and connect and commission the boiler and heating system for you. it's not the ability and knowledge that you need but that little expensive ticket and insurance cover that allows someone to work with gas.

Is that seriously your attitude. Wind it in jack. You cannot prove your competence in the gas industry, no matter what engineering certs you might have.

This makes diy gas work illegal which is why we're telling you no. NOT because we want to rip you off. The reason the boys have quoted hundreds is because if your boiler was to be commissioned it would be coming off the wall and then refitted. That way the fitter would be confident it was installed correctly. You might be a big shot submariner but in the gas world that counts for chuff all.

I'm giving you 24 hours to retract your rip off comment.

If I see nothing by 2130hrs tomorrow I WILL remove your account.

Clocks ticking.
The subs dived, he silent running now for the next month! Just pull the plug now croppie.

When all the water has drained out of his bath he might be back in radio contact but I doubt it.:54:

Last edited:
funnily enough, if he goes ahead and fits his boiler and heating, it will probably be one of the best installs you'll ever come across. Re his competences, he will be technically more adept than most of us on this site. His only problem in proving his competence in a court is that he doesnt belong to a registered body for gas installations, however his various bodies he does belong to and have certification for far outstrips any of the tests we have to pass to work on gas so chances are he will be able to walk out of any court a free man. Additionally he isnt working for payment so once again he isnt going to be breaking the regs and all the grey areas involved.

His arrogance is a bit cheeky, but his apprenticeship took longer than ours ever did, and if he cocks up his job, its not a house that vapourizes but Plymouth and most of devon and cornwall :)

Hmm how many people a year in UK get radioactive poisoning? Nuclear reactor is way safer than a DIY boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can I fit a boiler, and then have it certified by a qualified gas fitter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock