Discuss Boiler Short Cycling in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

< 5C might be significant if it resulted in your dT being 8C (13-5), this, assuming flow rate correct results in a heat demand of 11kw not a whole lot away from your rad demand assuming you didn't have the ufh or cylinder calling for heat.
Hope your heating person at least brings a multimeter with him/her to measure the flow/return sensors resistance and confirm them with Glowworm, probably did that at the last visit anyway.
Thanks

No it was just rads on today, checked DHW off and UHF off.

No he visually looked, saw that there was a slight leak on a condensate pipe and suggested that may be the problem so the condensate trap was replaced. When that did not fix it he said it must be the temp sensors. Not unhappy with this because it was leaking and hence did need replacing.

It was me getting the manual and going into the settings that I pulled off the sensor values and put on probes and then saw that it was tripping at DT14 - although earlier today with d0 at 21 it seemed to do it at dT 18.

Am happy to replace the temp sensors (although they are £30 each), but do not want to willy nilly replace parts.
Looking at the manual there does not seem much else to replace, apart from the main PCB.

It all seems to be working ok at present, but that is with d0 at 21. What concerns me is when it is really cold again and then the boiler goes into its cycling and it takes ages to heat the house up - Which is what was happening in the mid december really cold spell. Everything came on then and it would heat up maybe 5 degrees, cut, heat again and take forwver to get to 70.

You may be asking why I am using this chap. Long story, but the fan failed about 12 months ago and I could not get any local plumbers out. Eventually resorted to paying £300 for Glowworm engineer to come out (Given fan was £200 was not unhappy with this), but Glowworm refused to work on my boiler on H&S grounds. The boiler is in my attic next to the hatch so you have to stand on the loft ladder whilst working on it. No Big deal, but it broke their Health and safety rules. Most annoying.

Thanks

Andrew

If you are using thermocouple probes taped to the pipes then they should be very accurate IMO, I have a Proster dual channel thermocouple thermometer and its very very accurate on the very few occasions that I've used it ,
However you can do another independent test with rads only on and boiler firing constantly, take a photo of your gas meter and exactly 3 minutes later take it again, X this consumption X 220 which will give the boiler input, X this by say 88% (boiler efficiency) and that will be your heating demand. (kw)

If you are using thermocouple probes taped to the pipes then they should be very accurate IMO, I have a Proster dual channel thermocouple thermometer and its very very accurate on the very few occasions that I've used it ,
However you can do another independent test with rads only on and boiler firing constantly, take a photo of your gas meter and exactly 3 minutes later take it again, X this consumption X 220 which will give the boiler input, X this by say 88% (boiler efficiency) and that will be your heating demand. (kw)
Hello, resurecting this again.

I had my plumber on site today to try and diagnose this.
He had two long calls with Glow worm

First call I dont think they really understood it and said it was thermistors or PCB, but they asked him to get the system cold and try again.
He took the thermistors out and measured the resistance at the values given by Glowworm - They tallied.
Also he has his professional meter on flow and return and it pretty much tallied with D40 and D41 as did my cheap £20 monitor
They also suggested pump pulling too much flow. So it was tried on lowest PP curve. Did same thing and was not really pushing enough water.

He called back Glowworm when cold and went through more with Glow worm, this time he got someone more knowledgeable who seemed to sugggest gas valve not correct. Unfortunately his gas analyzer failed so I have to wait for him to return.

I said that when I drop D0 that the boiler does not cycle quite so much, but takes much longer to heat up - This could make the gas valve setting more plausible.

He spent 3 hrs here today and not sure any further forward.

I could get a PCB myself and fit but I am not convinced thats the issue.

Any more thoughts?

Thank You

Andrew

So, the problem still is that once the dT reaches 14C that it cycles?. possibly PCB as it probably should cycle if the dT reachs ~ 30C but certainly not as low as 14C, even 20C is a quite normal dT on any gas fired boiler. Don't know why they suggest that the pump is circulating too much, the higher the flowrate the lower the dT for any given output.

So, the problem still is that once the dT reaches 14C that it cycles?. possibly PCB as it probably should cycle if the dT reachs ~ 30C but certainly not as low as 14C, even 20C is a quite normal dT on any gas fired boiler. Don't know why they suggest that the pump is circulating too much, the higher the flowrate the lower the dT for any given output.
Hi John,

Seemed to vary today at around the 15-16C dT figure. Glow worm said it would if dT was 20 or more, but never saw that figure.
Yes it keeps this cycle - eventually gets to set point, then modulates fine.

If you turn d0 down it seems to run better and accepts wider dt, but takes really long to heat up.
PCB looks easy to replace but they are circa £180, although one on ebay for £65 (new in box) so I guess could be worth a punt.

Thanks

Andrew

Finally (I hope) got to the bottom of this today.
Glow worm told my heating engineer it was prob gas valve; unfortunately his analyser broke so had to wait for him to return. Today he returned and tested gases and all good. He said gas valve was prob next thing to replace. However I had decided (on off chance) to get a new PCB (which I obtained BNIB from Ebay for £60, rather than the new £200 price). Had him fit the PCB today to see what happens. So far it seems to be behaving properly, but time will tell.

Thanks for all your inputs

Andrew

Reply to Boiler Short Cycling in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for...
Replies
Views
B
Issue with boiler short cycling in system with hot water tank. We have an ideal heating logic heat2 h15 boiler which feeds a hot water tank...
Replies
Views
Good morning, wondered if anyone can advise please on a resolution? My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed detached with 21 radiators...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: Do frost protection valves trigger when the water in the pipe gets to threshold, or when the air temp drops? Long version...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock