Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss boiler for a swimming pool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadia69

Gas Engineer
any of you guys ever fitted a boiler for a swimming pool ? he has had one quote from the swimming pool engineer who want to do a like for like swap, and he is getting advice from the plumbers merchant to put another boiler in and adapt the pipe work. so he wants me to have a look does it have to be a cast iron heat exchanger boiler etc and what do i have to be careful of when quoting , chemicals etc and does it have to be A rated, cheers in advance

Last edited:
You need your hwb ticket to do it to start with.
swimming pool boilers are slightly different beasts with slightly different rules to stick to.

if you're not confident don't do it.

swimming pool boilers are slightly different beasts with slightly different rules to stick to.

ok thanks for the advice guys

hwb ? is that hot water boiler. i have water heater ticket on me gas safe

HWB1 swimming pool boilers.

it doesn't come under your boilers and water heaters cenwat1

It could be a regular boiler onto a heat exchanger BUT if you but that to a condensing boiler

the boiler will run constantly for days on end, at low temps, the condense will ruin it then.

A lot depends what sort of system he has now but if you have never done it I would stay away ?
We have done both a small heat exchanger (stainless steel ) Linked to domestic boiler running both swimming pools and hot tubs .
My old pool held 90,000 litres so you can imagine the time it takes to warm that lump up !
Then you move into dedicated swimming pool boilers we have only done oil on any jobs as a bit rural round here also the pool guys set it all up as with everything it is probably easy but until you are shown it is all black magic ?

It could be a regular boiler onto a heat exchanger BUT if you but that to a condensing boiler

the boiler will run constantly for days on end, at low temps, the condense will ruin it then.

Would it not run at correct temperature to condense as your primary circuit would be at optimum operating temperature when heating was running ?
Guess a lot would be down to correct sizing of heat exchanger as you have a massive flow through them but they really are very small ?

Done one recently which used a plate heat exchanger which was supplied by the pool people. I think it was 20 KW. The pool was 10mtrs x 5mtrs.

I service a couple of Vaillant boilers that heat the pools at a holiday park. They take a couple of weeks to get the pool up to temperature. They are normal domestic boilers. What will finish these two off is the chlorine atmosphere in the plant room.

Would it not run at correct temperature to condense as your primary circuit would be at optimum operating temperature when heating was running ?
Guess a lot would be down to correct sizing of heat exchanger as you have a massive flow through them but they really are very small ?

May have just shot myself in the foot!
This was what i found one three alphas to pool boiler heat exchangers, to stop the boilers cycling constantly from The short loop the "rad" temp was turned down

The innards of the boiler were ruined from what my employer described as condense damage.
practically fell apart when we removed them.

Since when has this been a problem.

Houses with ufh are always condensing.

They are designed for this

If not. You have a warranty claim on your hands

I've spoken without the greatest stack of evidence behind me,
might have just been the alphas or the chemicals.

i retract my statement.

I think there is an awful lot of confusion out there ?
I can now see why the old plumbing firm I used only installed and left all comissioning and service work to others ?
If you think about it most plumbers are quallified as installers that is the basis of the qualification it really does not take you much further ?

Id take it on. Can't be that difficult. If you worried about boiler temp being to low, just run some kind of mixing back end protection. Plenty of manufacturers will specify how they want them installed... Just follow the instructions they provide. I work on a couple non condensing oil pool boilers, never give any grief, just have to give extra considerations. If your worried about corrosion, just get them to build a sealed compartment.

Didn't realise there was even a separate ticket for pool boilers. Next they'll make us get a ticket for tying our laces.

You are making this sound difficult and its not, any boiler will do with a stainless steel heat exchanger, the primary water can be kept at what ever temperature you like 50,60,70 and the secondary will at pool temp 28, the usual output of the heat exchanger will be 20KW but there are a range, about £150.00 to buy, don't put any zone valves on the system let the boiler do the pool control, fit a stat on the pool return water and stop the boiler when the pool is up to temperature, let the pump run on like it normally would off the power panel, the pool pump will run 24 x 7

Tony

heat-exchangers_15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have done lots of pool boilers, most domestic pools use domestic gas or oil boilers nothing complicated. Generally they heat the pool through a stainless heat exchanger. I always use a "y" valve instead of a zone valve, when the pool stat turns off it opened the other port and you have a full bypass.

Have done lots of pool boilers, most domestic pools use domestic gas or oil boilers nothing complicated. Generally they heat the pool through a stainless heat exchanger. I always use a "y" valve instead of a zone valve, when the pool stat turns off it opened the other port and you have a full bypass.

If the boiler is only the pool boiler and doing nothing else, then do as I said earlier, if its doing other things it needs the ABV bypass as usual

Will be replacing an old cast pool boiler when site closes, using a Vaillant, pool guy has worked out what size boiler he needs and he will be fitting the Heat Ex for the pool all we will be doing is fitting the boiler and making connection to his Heat Ex.

Will be replacing an old cast pool boiler when site closes, using a Vaillant, pool guy has worked out what size boiler he needs and he will be fitting the Heat Ex for the pool all we will be doing is fitting the boiler and making connection to his Heat Ex.

That's all you need to do JTS, there is a sensor pocket in those SS exchangers but he will probably have an electronic pool temp sensor he will turn the boiler on and off with, if you ever fit a valve it should be a 3 port diverting valve, but a simple system boiler control every time, served 4 years of my apprenticeship on big pool plants.

Yes they are simple once yo have seen a few and like yo say there is a pocket for pool temp in heat exchanger some installers also fit a flow switch on pool return as many systems are timed on the filtration system .
They all seem to be going for salt water pools these days as supposed to be kinder to the skin ????
No chlorine as such added it is made through osmosis I believe ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler for a swimming pool in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock