Search the forum,

Discuss Best Way to become OFTEC registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scott2hot

Hi all,

I've recently completed my level 2 NVQ and 6189 Tech Cert and have been busy fitting bathrooms etc but want to further my plumbing knowledge and start getting into the heating side of things. As I live in an area with little gas (cornwall) Ive decided to concentrate on the oil side of things. Could any of you recommend the best way into this side of the industry, i.e.what courses i'd need to and what experience I would need to gain.

Is it easier to become qualified on the gas side of heating as I do live in an area of Cornwall that does has gas but believe it is easier to get qualified on the oil side of things - is this correct

Many thanks for all you help.

I may be wrong, but believe that you should do NVQ3, then do an oil course, then do a oil assessment.

NVQ3 to understand boilers, unvented, i.e.
oil course to understand differences of oil and gas.
assessment to get accredited by oftec.

Just a guess but thats what I would expect

You can just turn up ... nearly! I didn't have to prove any qualification (that I can remember). Another chap on the course didn't even do plumbing.

You'll need to take the OFTEC 50, which is an introduction and the practical assessments involve more teaching and learning. All this takes 5 days and sets you ready to take the OFTEC 101, 102, etc.

Best to try 2-3 training centres. Are there many Agas and Rayburns in your area? If so, it could be worth training at Aga in Telford. That's where I went and although not absolutely brilliant it was a perfectly okay training centre. I'm quite happy to return there for my next assessments in a couple of years.

Cost is around £800 per week of training £800 for 5 years of registration to OFTEC, £300 a year for compulsory public liability insurance and you'll need around £800 for tools and other oily stuff.

You can just turn up ... nearly! I didn't have to prove any qualification (that I can remember). Another chap on the course didn't even do plumbing.

You'll need to take the OFTEC 50, which is an introduction and the practical assessments involve more teaching and learning. All this takes 5 days and sets you ready to take the OFTEC 101, 102, etc.

Best to try 2-3 training centres. Are there many Agas and Rayburns in your area? If so, it could be worth training at Aga in Telford. That's where I went and although not absolutely brilliant it was a perfectly okay training centre. I'm quite happy to return there for my next assessments in a couple of years.

Cost is around £800 per week of training £800 for 5 years of registration to OFTEC, £300 a year for compulsory public liability insurance and you'll need around £800 for tools and other oily stuff.

wow thats surprising.

learn something new every day

I was suprised as there is a lot of money in oil, mainly because less people do it, yet it costs a lot less to train on it.

Is oil safer then gas?

Lots of people have some sort of oftec qualification despite having little,if any experience. You don't need it to do the courses, just pay your money. Always annoys when someone states " get a qualified oftec engineer". Legally yes, but dosnt mean a lot if the" engineer" only started recently. Not knocking it completely though, as hopefully it should help make everyone aware of regs, & ofcourse plenty of real heating guys out there are oftec.

Yes and no. The storage of oil is nothing like as safe as gas (in my opinion) as older tanks are quite flimsy and many are not that stable. As a chemical it tends not explode though like gas but on the other hand I think the heat in oil boilers is much greater.

Re the numbers, there are around 28m houses in the UK of which around 2m are on oil, the rest being natural gas, LPG or just electricity.

Lots of people have some sort of oftec qualification despite having little,if any experience. You don't need it to do the courses, just pay your money. Always annoys when someone states " get a qualified oftec engineer". Legally yes, but dosnt mean a lot if the" engineer" only started recently. Not knocking it completely though, as hopefully it should help make everyone aware of regs, & ofcourse plenty of real heating guys out there are oftec.

I think there's some confusion there.

To obtain your registration you need to prove you've taken and passed the relevant exams.

It's not illegal for anyone to repair or service oil boilers but it is illegal to install them unless you're OFTEC registered and it's also illegal (as far as I know) to use the CD10 forms to prove a service unless you're qualified.

Damn site messier. Can't beat getting home covered in soot and smelling of kero! :)

I am not saying anyone can be oftec registered without having passed the relevant oftec exams, but just pointing to it's limitations. Trouble with lots of courses, in my opinion, is someone with no experience can do the exam & then be unleased onto the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best Way to become OFTEC registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone I currently work in oil and gas industry working in North Sea and further afield operating on high pressure oil and gas plants. This line of work means I have on average 6+ months off a year, im thinking of training to become a domestic gas engineer in my time off to earn a bit extra...
Replies
Views
I want to start working on the gas side of plumbing and heating. I am a sole trader working with plumbing and heating and have the NVQ level 2.I would like to know what is (if there is)the best way of gaining gas training and qualification without causing too much disruption and time out of my...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
Hi, I am looking to Potentially become a Gas Heating Engineer. I love the idea of working with my hands and learn best that way. I like the idea of helping people have warm homes. I am currently not qualified at all and from my research., i have to dot he following: 1.) I have to do my Core Gas...
Replies
Views
Hello Plumbers/Gas Engineers, Excuse if this question has been raised but i am in a slight dilemma and for the past 2 weeks the internet has not really solved this, so I feel i need some real advice from real tradesmen. I am 21 and stuck behind a desk not progressing into a career, I have...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a Heatmiser UFH installation, 7-8 years old now. This week we noticed that a few of our heating zones were not warming up, even though the thermostat was showing the flame symbol. They were working fine last winter. I knew from when I looked at the installation in the past that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock