Search the forum,

Discuss Best position for automatic bypass valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

albapa

Hi all,

I'd like to install an automatic bypass valve on my central heating system. It's a pressurised system using a Worcester Greenstar 27 CDI combi boiler. I have a few questions:

1) Apart from the obvious (that it should be between the feed and return pipes of the CH) are there any recommendations (i.e. minimum distance from the boiler etc.) where to position it?

2) Does anyone know the minimum flow requirement of my boiler? I managed to find the characteristics of the built in pump, but I'm still missing this information. That'd help me figure out the pressure setting of the bypass valve.

3) Any suggestions which bypass valve to use? Their prices vary wildly between £8.35 (Zilmet from JTM) and £46 (Honeywell from Screwfix)?

Thanks in advance.

I must just ask. Why didn't the installer put one on? Or are you the installer?

This is an old installation which I am upgrading. Each rad will have a remote controlled TRV with temperature sensors (so each will be able to demand heat from the boiler) but in this situation it can occur that all TRVs are closed but the boiler pump needs some overrun, hence the need for the bypass valve.

Not being funny, and with all due respect but I should get a pro in to do this if I were you.

The reason for this is that when you refill the system you will need to vent the boiler. Which involves removing the case, which you can't do because you're not a gsr.

I'm sure you get a control stat with them systems.

Leave a radiator, bathroom or hall, with two lockshields. Hall if you've a control stat, bathroom if not.

This'll avoid a full drain down.

Luckily, my boiler has an automatic air vent so there is absolutely no need to remove the cover.

Yes, having a rad acting as a bypass is an option. But I know it is also possible to install a system like I described so in any case, I think my questions are still valid and I'd be grateful if someone could give any advice.

Oh right. You're one of them.

"I haven't gotten the answer I wanted so I'll keep asking the question."

Re-evaluate your expectations.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Best position for automatic bypass valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock