Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss best place to install air vent for a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_d_o_t

Gas Engineer
hia all my 1st post.....
i had to blank a sirocco simplex coal effect fire off yesterday due to no ventilation, it needs 100sq cm vent direct to outside, just wanted to no were is the best location for this vent, i.e oposite fire? high level? low level?

position doesnt matter as the air is to replace that burnt by the fire high n low vents are usually more for cooling apliances ensuring a flow of air
if the vent isnt baffled you need to consider draughts from vent towards i

all mine are high level so they dont block it with furniture and dont cause cold feet as it mixes with warm air on the ceiling.

make sure its below 450mm(just incase of escape of fire fumes)

make sure its below 450mm(just incase of escape of fire fumes)

tut tut, HAHA i gave you 4.5 yrs to forget the regs, back to the books on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
In an outside wall would be the best bet lol , I just did my acs:17: retake forgotten half it already

tut tut, HAHA i gave you 4.5 yrs to forget the regs, back to the books on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was i reading it wrong then, EGS Corgi page 66, 4th bullet point, or is it where it says any air vent in an internal wall????.

was i reading it wrong then, EGS Corgi page 66, 4th bullet point, or is it where it says any air vent in an internal wall????.

primary vent to outside can go anywhere (descriptor in BS5440-2 actually says it should be placed to avoid being blocked by snow, leaves etc so maybe best not to fit right at ground level), high or low as we have been discussing, i fit low, as i'm a shorty who doesnt like using core cutters up a pr of steps, however INTERNAL vents communicating between 2 rooms must be lower than 450mm to the top to slow down the transfer of smoke in a fire (not necessarily POC's, although it helps that as well) but the dimension of 450mm is from fire/building regs and quoted in the gas regs to ensure we comply with fire/building regs when fitting vents, this dimension is not to be confused with the requirment to fit compartment vents high and low, as they dont communicate between 2 rooms

450mm max from floor level is for vents in series on internal walls

kirkgas and simon F, thanks for clearing that up cheers, i didnt read the bullet point correctly-(another thing you taught me kirk-read the question or description very carefully).-!ANY AIR VENT IN AN INTERNAL WALL!- got it.

the exception to the height restriction on internal walls, is for compartments. depending on the boiler, it may or may not need vents for cooling.

thankyou for the replys, you have all been verry helpfull and i installed the air vent a few days ago, however the reason why i was called out in the 1st place was because the fire after a while gos out so i thought this would be the result of the lack of ventilation causing the flame to lift off the O.D.S shuting the gas valve off. but with ventilation installed this still happens. ive done flue flow and spillage test and they both passed.
could this be a blockage in the O.D.S? and if so what do i need to check/clean or just replace for new one?
thanks guys

you should have given us all the info in the first post,
before you fit a vent, simply replicate additional ventilation by opening a window a bit at a time, until you get the appliance working, then measure the volume of air you have replicated and fit this via a permanent vent, it could be the osd is partially blocked (only clean with compressed air, never use wire or anything) or it could be lack of gas causing the pilot to drop and move away from the thermocouple causing the thermo electric valve to cool and close, again check and carefully clean the pilot injector, when it passed the spillage test it means it passed when you were there but it is possible down draught or similar is causing the osd to drop, although it has an osd i suggest a CO alarm be fitted for long term safety

thank you kirk,
it did state that it needed ventilation in M.I so it had to be done anyway, i will give the O.D.S a clean tomorow.

thank you kirk,
it did state that it needed ventilation in M.I so it had to be done anyway, i will give the O.D.S a clean tomorow.

just a thought (always dodgy) what type of flue is in? if precast the fire might not be suitable

hate doing fires ,very rearly do them ,so much to remember and so many diffrent types,that look alike i just go off my viper book/corgi book and mi,s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to best place to install air vent for a gas fire? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock