• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

From the United States of America? - Checkout our specific plumbing forum for you:USA Plumbing Forum

Discuss BBC tap head removal in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I am trying to replace the washers in a 1960's bathroom that has BBC (Barking Brassware Company) basin and matching bath taps fitted. Having difficulty in working out how to remove the tap handles that resemble a very chunky 4 pointed design. There's a small grub screw on one of the 4 sides and when tap handle is fully open a small rectangular slot can be seen on the base shroud. Also have a small plastic green or red insert at the top of the handle that would be damaged if removal attempted.
I have removed the grub screw but cannot remove the handle. Is there some other clip that needs to be depressed as or do I also have to remove the small coloured top plastic insert to reveal another screw or clip ?

Ric2013

Plumber
Are these the BBC Crucible head taps? Send us a photo?

I actually happen to know an engineer who, as a child, helped his father polish the mouldings (small hands are great for this kind of slave labour ;) ) used to cast the tap heads for the Crucible range, so if no one else can help, I can always see if I can get hold of him...

Are these the BBC Crucible head taps? Send us a photo?

I actually happen to know an engineer who, as a child, helped his father polish the mouldings (small hands are great for this kind of slave labour ;) ) used to cast the tap heads for the Crucible range, so if no one else can help, I can always see if I can get hold of him...
I don't think these are crucible head shaped taps - more of a 4 pointed star ? Anyway photos attached - hope someone remembers working on them !

Attachments

• BBC tap handle1.jpg
    BBC tap handle1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 8
  • BBC tap2.jpg
    BBC tap2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 8

Ric2013

Plumber
My mistake. They're "Crystal". Thought they were called "Crucible". Nice taps.

I would guess that the tap head is an interference fit (i.e. tight) onto the spindle (like most BS1010 mechanisms). Given that you can't use wooden packing or a spanner and then screw down the tap to force the head off as you would with a traditional tap, I'd imagine that slot is to put some kind of (special) tool instead. I doubt the plastic bit on top needs to be removed.

Have you tried pulling up hard and wiggling in various ways for 5 minutes?

My mistake. They're "Crystal". Thought they were called "Crucible". Nice taps.

I would guess that the tap head is an interference fit (i.e. tight) onto the spindle (like most BS1010 mechanisms). Given that you can't use wooden packing or a spanner and then screw down the tap to force the head off as you would with a traditional tap, I'd imagine that slot is to put some kind of (special) tool instead. I doubt the plastic bit on top needs to be removed.

Have you tried pulling up hard and wiggling in various ways for 5 minutes?
They are nice taps and thanks for the info about the correct name being 'Crystal'. I suspect that the heads have never been removed and the original washers are still inside ! I have tried every way of pulling them off but will have a look again at that small slot at the base which must be there for some purpose.

They are nice taps and thanks for the info about the correct name being 'Crystal'. I suspect that the heads have never been removed and the original washers are still inside ! I have tried every way of pulling them off but will have a look again at that small slot at the base which must be there for some purpose.
So it turns out that there are 2 small slots 180 degree apart. I was able to use long nose pliers to prise the handle up slightly and then a screwdriver to lever off and finally release the handle. They do seem to have some sort of snap-on feature. There is nothing underneath the plastic red insert. Photo below. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• BBC tap inside.jpg
    BBC tap inside.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 4

Reply to BBC tap head removal in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net