Discuss Are TRV valves / room thermostat compulsory with new boiler on existing system ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lostloop

What are the current regulations about fitting TRV valves if a new condensing boiler is fitted to an existing (vented) system. Are they compulsory ?
Is a room thermostat still required / compulsory ?
Thank you for any responses.

It is to comply with building regs and is best practice but it cannot be enforced.
You can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink. If the customer can't afford them or insists on not having them there is nothing anyone can do.

Why?

Part L building regulations. New or replacement boiler installs require building regulation certification, which under the competent person scheme you will self certificate to say it complies. No roomstat and it dont comply. So you can't certificate the install, or do you certificate the boiler anyway to say it does not comply? Gets confusing. If it were me I would not touch a job, which I could not complete properly, bacause it always tends to come back and bite you on the bum, wether your in the right or in the wrong.

Some boiler manufacturers will give you an exemption if you fit a weather comp system for the heating (thinking viesmann here), may be cheaper than trv's and room stat.

Read carefully the Domestic Buildings Compliance Guide 2010; it's all in there!

An Interlock has been a requirement for a long time; this is normally provided by the room thermostat.

TRV's are not mandatory when just the boiler is being replaced; see the Supplementary Information at the bottom of Table 2 (page 24).

There is NO requirement to split the heating system into two zones if all you are doing is replacing the boiler; see Zoning Requirements

thanks, i have only been installing prog room stats anyway however know a lot of people who are still fitting mechanical clocks. not suprised however as so many retailers are offering them in packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are TRV valves / room thermostat compulsory with new boiler on existing system ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back