Discuss Any advice as to what is the best route now in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamie Banks

Just completed my 6129 through T4TS basic plumbing and wondering if anyone could get in contact with a recommended progression route to take. Am in full-time employment and have not got in contact with anyone as yet. Based in the North Wales area and just wondering what are peoples views and the best route to go down. Would like to obtain the best training that i can but understand that there are limitations.

Ideally would like to speak to tutors or plumbing supervisors as to what they look for as a competent plumber. Have looked into the NVQ route but one tutor said it cant be done without a plumber the other said maybe by self employed - but sure a few people are in the same boat.

Has there been any new changes with the industry and any chance of doing the 6189 although some of the 6129 may over ride.

Please advice

hiya mate, is it tru that u cannot complete ur nvq until u spend 3 months with a plumber wrkin with him/her? isn't it better to do a fast trak, i wanna be self employed by the way so if u hav any reccomendations i will be greatful.

you cannot get an nvq without working with an experienced plumber

looks like i'm doin a fast trak then. now where's that 5k

you can be self employed and do nvq via that route, before anyone argues I did and the nvq side was a doddle, coz its only the basics, once that was all done then you start learning how its all done for real.

never said you cannot be self employed, said you must work with a qualified/experienced plumber who can verify you did the work you say you did, the photos are of your work and it was done to a reasonable standard.
if centres are signing off work which is signed by someone who has not witnessed the work i am sure C&G would be interested to hear of this con

I am currently on the 6129 Tech Cert lvl3 course with city and guilds through my local college I completed my lvl 2 last year. I have just found out that I have until 31st of March to sign up for the 6129 NVQ2/3 as after this date the course is being replaced by the new format 6189 plumbing diploma.
1 of the requirements for the new 6189 course, is that you wont be able to join unless your already employed in the industry.
Hope I can find employment before 31st of march or I don't know where that will leave me as regards to the last 3 years I have been at college.

Had a lad doing a bit of work for me last year on a 6129 course. Some of the stuff is a joke - their hand book describes securing leadwork with lead clips made from bits of lead like grandad used to - This is antiquated practice - industry standard has long since been to use the purpose made "Hall" clips made from spring steel. No mention was made of lead flashing sealing compound and it just described pointing (again an old idea). Another one is how to rewashering pillar taps but not modern taps / 1/4 turn cartridges etc. What percentage of houses still have the old style pillar taps? The whole thing really needs updating

Last edited:
Had a lad doing a bit of work for me last year on a 6129 course. Some of the stuff is a joke - their hand book describes securing leadwork with lead clips made from bits of lead like grandad used to - This is antiquated practice - industry standard has long since been to use the purpose made "Hall" clips made from spring steel. No mention was made of lead flashing sealing compound and it just described pointing (again an old idea). Another one is how to rewashering pillar taps but not modern taps / 1/4 turn cartridges etc. What percentage of houses still have the old style pillar taps? The whole thing really needs updating

but it is being updated?????????
even so, if we are aiming to teach a trade instead of partly skilled cowboys we must teach all aspects of the trade, not just quick modern methods, who wants just a speedfit plumber?

Yes we should teach a skilled trade - My point is, we should be teaching methods which are the recognised industry standard, not outdated methods no longer recommended. (lead clips and lead sheet sealant being the examples I came across).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any advice as to what is the best route now in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am currently in the forces looking to leave in the next year or so. i have a level 3 apprenticeship in electrical and mechanical...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi guys, Looking to replace an old shower diverter. Pictures attached. I'm from Australia if that makes any difference. Originally when i got...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hey everyone, my name's Loren, I'm 31 and I recently finished my level 2 NVQ plumbing diploma at college and I'm looking for someone to help me...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock