Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for advice on replacing old shower diverter but maybe too old. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys,

Looking to replace an old shower diverter. Pictures attached. I'm from Australia if that makes any difference.

Originally when i got the house years ago there was a note to be careful when turning the shower diverter too hard. Eventually this happened and it started leaking from the tap at the bottom. This eventually affected the water pressure on the shower head so decided to get it fixed.

I had one plumber look at it and he said he needed to source the part but he took ages and in the end gave up. The second plumber looked at it and said straight away you can't fix it and you need to rip out the whole system but he did some hack to stop it from leaking as a stop gap that lasted a while. A full reno it not an option at the moment so I eventually decided to take it apart (i have not knowledge of plumbing) and figured out how it worked and replaced the washer to fix it for a while longer. The problem from what i can tell is the nut at the end of the stem is just holding on and if you turn it hard enough it will eventully wear off. Other problem is i can't find washers to fit it so i hack some silicone washers to size.

Does anyone know if this can be replaced with a newer type of stem? I've notice the thread for the diverter is finer than the hot and cold stems. I've tried searching but not having much luck. At least i think its called a stem :D

There also aren't any markings on it. The hot and cold stems have some markings and "N1136" comes up with search so i think i can replace them with new ones but it doesn't fix the main problem.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG20230412191008.jpg
    IMG20230412191008.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230412191229.jpg
    IMG20230412191229.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230412191249.jpg
    IMG20230412191249.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230412191529.jpg
    IMG20230412191529.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20230412195706.jpg
    IMG20230412195706.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG20230412200019.jpg
    IMG20230412200019.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230409163817.jpg
    IMG20230409163817.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 7
You only turn the nut when changing a washer though? I'd use a small socket rather than a flat spanner, but I'm thinking it may never fail as you barely need it more than finger-tight, perhaps with a spot of thread-lock. Though I suspect you'll tell me that the nut gets pulled on when you turn the tap to fully on or off and this puts it under strain?

If it weren't for that, I'm thinking if the tap is kept lubricated with silicone grease and descaled every 5 years you will find it all works more smoothly and I get the impression you should be able to use it for many more years, seeing as you seem to understand it, without it really needing any parts except O rings and washers.

As for too old, it is hard to say without meeting you, but there is no indication from your post that suggests you won't be able to keep this up for the forseeable future.

You only turn the nut when changing a washer though? I'd use a small socket rather than a flat spanner, but I'm thinking it may never fail as you barely need it more than finger-tight, perhaps with a spot of thread-lock. Though I suspect you'll tell me that the nut gets pulled on when you turn the tap to fully on or off and this puts it under strain?

If it weren't for that, I'm thinking if the tap is kept lubricated with silicone grease and descaled every 5 years you will find it all works more smoothly and I get the impression you should be able to use it for many more years, seeing as you seem to understand it, without it really needing any parts except O rings and washers.

As for too old, it is hard to say without meeting you, but there is no indication from your post that suggests you won't be able to keep this up for the forseeable future.
In theory yes and yes. while you can be careful it normally happens by accident. The other problem i forgot to mention is there are no threads to screw a protective face on it like the hot and cold taps so i silicone around the face to keep it from getting wet. so its not as simple to take apart. Have not thought of a better way to keep it waterproof the face without silicone the whole piece.

Yes you could be right, as long as i keep it up i could deal with it as i am doing now but would be nice to just replace the whole part without pulling the whole thing out.

The other problem i forgot to mention is there are no threads to screw a protective face on it like the hot and cold taps so i silicone around the face to keep it from getting wet. so its not as simple to take apart. Have not thought of a better way to keep it waterproof the face without silicone the whole piece.
A protective face?

A protective face?
what ever this piece is that you attach on the front. when i took it apart first time there was siliconeall around it almost filling most of the inside. I removed most of it to get a proper look but that was the only thing holding it in place. The hot and cold stems has threads so its easy to unscrew them on and off.

Attachments

• IMG20230414063208.jpg
    IMG20230414063208.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20230414062513.jpg
    IMG20230414062513.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 6
what ever this piece is that you attach on the front. when i took it apart first time there was siliconeall around it almost filling most of the inside. I removed most of it to get a proper look but that was the only thing holding it in place. The hot and cold stems has threads so its easy to unscrew them on and off.
Yeah. It's a shroud. Essentially decorative. It's really weird if there aren't threads for it as that suggests something has been replaced in a way that isn't original.

Tap shrouds are annoying: very often water gets behind them and festers, but it is only very old or old-style taps that are designed not to have them. But modern taps look awful without the shrouds fitted, so I can see why yours has one!

Yeah. It's a shroud. Essentially decorative. It's really weird if there aren't threads for it as that suggests something has been replaced in a way that isn't original.

Tap shrouds are annoying: very often water gets behind them and festers, but it is only very old or old-style taps that are designed not to have them. But modern taps look awful without the shrouds fitted, so I can see why yours has one!
Ah.. i see. yes very odd and at this point frustrating. :p

Reply to Looking for advice on replacing old shower diverter but maybe too old. in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock