Search the forum,

Discuss Another quick question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David66316

Can you solvent weld waste pipe together if it's painted or not?
Because, on a job now, waste pipe comes through partition wall but got a fitting right next to wall and then small length then another elbow, but it's too long so can I just cut it put a slip coupling on then solvent weld it or do j need to get the paint of some how?? Cheers

Cut it, then scotch brite the paint off the pipe and apply the solvent weld :)

Run a rasp round it and the paint will come off quickly, or use coarse sandpaper. Don't glue onto the paint, the paint may react with the glue and the paint will prevent the chemical bond formed on the two plastic surfaces when the glue is set.

abrasive cleaning strips are good for this, monument do them

You do not say what sort of waste pipe it is? ABS, PVC or Polypropylene. PP can't be solvent welded usually its push fit. ABS cement is different than PVC and there are a few other plastics as well. You can also get solvent weld cleaner which you apply before the solvent weld cement itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Another quick question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock