Discuss Advice on flue through fake window in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Good afternoon,

I was hoping someone could advise regarding the regulations around flue terminations through a 'fake' window.

We have a mixed-use development with a ground floor commercial unit and residential above. To keep with the style, a 'fake' window has been installed to the rear of the commercial unit - essentially a window shape but infilled with panelling rather than a window. The idea was to utilise this panelling for the flue termination to avoid core drilling the new brickwork as the next tenant may not require a flue, however it appears this may be in contradiction with Approved Document J, diagram 34 Note 1, where a flue shouldn't be within 150/300mm of "an opening into the building fabric formed for the purpose of accommodating a built-in element, such as a window frame".

This opening will never house a window whilst the flue is installed, it was purely for aesthetics. Has anyone come across this before, and what are our options? Is there a certain product/sealing process that needs to be carried out to allow the flue to pass through the panelling? So long as the panelling is of a suitable heat resistance, I can't personally see an issue with this other than not conforming with this Note - we have sufficient distance to all other restrictions shown on diagram 34.

Thanks in advance, Nick.

Yep your fine I would say

Yes fully if the window doesn’t open / there isn’t a window eg boarded up it’s not a window and it’s never going to be changed into a window I can’t see an issue

Will leave this here

Thanks Shaun, out of interest are you Gas Safe Registered? We have been told that this isn't possible, but if there are Gas Safe engineers on here that believe this would be OK, I will have to ensure we get a second opinion on site.
I agree with @ShaunCorbs here. If it has purposely been infilled I think it is acceptable.

"... an opening into the building fabric formed for the purpose of accommodating a built-in element" is not referring to a window but a hole that has been cut through the brickwork to accommodate a frame, which is exactly what is being proposed. I think there is a risk that this may come back to bite you if you allow it. I doubt it's a big risk, but a problem with things done in unconventional ways is that they attract attention.

Last edited:
"... an opening into the building fabric formed for the purpose of accommodating a built-in element" is not referring to a window but a hole that has been cut through the brickwork to accommodate a frame, which is exactly what is being proposed. I think there is a risk that this may come back to bite you if you allow it. I'm not sure its a big risk, but the problem with doing things in unconventional ways it that they do attract attention.
I know where you're coming from. This is from Doc J:

opening here means an openable element, such as an openable window, or a fixed opening such as an air vent. However, in addition, the outlet should not be nearer than 150mm (fanned draught) or 300mm (natural draught) to an opening into the building fabric formed for the purpose of accommodating a built-in element, such as a window frame.

What are your thoughts on the 150 distance to the opening in the fabric as opposed to 300 mm to the actual openings (if they did exist).
Do you think it could be related to turbulence for example?
If so, what if the infill panel was flush with the wall surface?

I am just curious as to your thoughts @Chuck on this as it's one of 'those' areas again for me. I read the regs but want to know 'why'? There must be a reason.
Would it be the same as windows bricked up to avoid window tax for example. Some are flush and I would class those as gone but I see a lot were the reveal/opening in fabric is still there. Would you still need to terminate a flue 150mm away from those or do you think it boils down to how they are closed off? is one method temporary and one permanent?

Reply to Advice on flue through fake window in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have concerns about the closeness of our boiler flue to the neighbours velux window. Conditions permitting and the window open the flue...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My name's Dominic - I'm posting this in the general thread as it probably covers a few bases, and thought I'd check this forum here for...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm just in the middle of my ACS gas course. For some reason, i now have the habit of looking at flue terminals outside...
Replies
Views
Assuming the mi's state the normal 300mm distance from the fan flue termination, to an opening window/extractor. Am I correct in thinking if the...
Replies
Views
glenno1
G

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back