Search the forum,

Discuss Position of boiler flue in relation to velux window, advice pleas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

It’s another grey area, is the end of the flue 300mm away from the boundary, although it’s not facing the boundary I’d argue that it could still effectively be classed as a nuisance

It’s another grey area, is the end of the flue 300mm away from the boundary, although it’s not facing the boundary I’d argue that it could still effectively be classed as a nuisance
Yes the end of the flue is 300mm away. We have measured again for reassurance.
With respect, the boiler has been fitted correctly according to the regulations at the time when it was. fitted,the nuisance scenario has only occurred since the erection of their building, and as gas safe have said, the boiler was situated first.
Regarding the neighbours, we have informed them that it could be potentially dangerous to them but we believe that the builder has reassured them that all is ok and pointed out to them that our bedroom window is closer to the flue than their velux!......obviously he has not really taken into consideration that it is over 300mm away from,and projecting out away from our window( and because heat rises) being directly blown into the open velux window. There are a few of us living in our house and if we all have a shower straight after one another then that is producing a lot of waste gases consistently for a good while.
I Find it quite shocking that this scenario can occur and it appears that it is down to us to change things on our property when we have abided by regulations.
Again thank you for all of the input, I think the next step is to speak to environmental health as was suggested by gas safe

I Find it quite shocking that this scenario can occur and it appears that it is down to us to change things on our property when we have abided by regulations.

I note you didn't respond to my point about the party wall agreement ........ had you had one, this would probably have flagged up the issue with the boiler ......... and remember the party wall agreement costs are ALL paid for by the neighbour doing the work!

I note you didn't respond to my point about the party wall agreement . had you had one, this would probably have flagged up the issue with the boiler ... and remember the party wall agreement costs are ALL paid for by the neighbour doing the work!
No party wall agreement. In fact not much communication by neighbours about the whole process. They asked for permission for the builder on our property to which we agreed on the condition that the discussed with us what they were going to do.......to cut a long story short I had a visit from the scaffolder on the day to tell me what he was going to do to my property to enable the build to go ahead. Unfortunately I was not prepared to let them drill holes into my walls for them to fix the scaffolding to.........to which I got a mouthful of abuse. Five days later and no communication from anyone I came home to scaffolding on my property which I was not too thrilled about as had no communication from anyone. Due to the fact that my husband is in the construction trade we allowed them to keep it as it was so they could get the job done as quickly as possible.
The fascinating thing is that the bricklayer would have had boiler fumes continually blowing in his face while working because it was winter and our heating would have been on continually.........you would have thought that it may have been noticed then!

^^ if you husband is in the trade I'm amazed that he didn't insist on a party wall agreement ...................

I understand the frustration but the positioning of your flue cannot prevent your neighbour making alterations to the house, granted it could’ve been handled very differently, as above with the party wall arrangement.

Please give consideration as was previously mentioned in this thread that within centimetres of the end of the flue any of the gases are massively massively diluted down by contact with their air.

I would still say that the best answer here is to talk properly with your neighbour. So many of these things can be solved with proper communication rather than just flying off the handle or going heavy handed.

And also a brick layer lays bricks. He is not going to know about flue positioning etc. I make this argument so many times that builders build plumbers plumb electricians to electric stick to our own tasks and things get done better generally

^^ if you husband is in the trade I'm amazed that he didn't insist on a party wall agreement ....
Forgive me for my ignorance but what would a party wall agreement have changed , we knew they were building which we didn’t have a problem with, however they were building to a planning notice that lacked definite written dimensions ( as I’m sure you’re aware that means that the builder and the home owner are left to hopefully produce a build that visually matches the plan,) in this case the lack of measurements has, in my opinion , lead to the window matching the drawings but potentially not matching building regs ( planning portal part j ).

I would ask Gas Safe to come out and do an inspection if you are that concerned. You have been reassured on here you have been told by manufacturers that the spec sounds okay I’m not sure what else we can tell you. The pluming whilst most likely is safe could be deemed a nuisance but as your neighbour has built an extension and you’ve been accommodating I can’t see them complaining however if they sell in the future and your new neighbours complain this is where the issue arises

Can you get to the end of your flue or is the conservatory preventing access?

I would ask Gas Safe to come out and do an inspection if you are that concerned. You have been reassured on here you have been told by manufacturers that the spec sounds okay I’m not sure what else we can tell you. The pluming whilst most likely is safe could be deemed a nuisance but as your neighbour has built an extension and you’ve been accommodating I can’t see them complaining however if they sell in the future and your new neighbours complain this is where the issue arises
Gas safe refuse to come out, even though our gas fitter has submitted a concern and also a requested a visit

Yes we can
Get a gas safe engineer to fit one of these
shopping

That won’t make any difference, flue terminal, position does not change by fitting a plume kit.
True but it will direct it up and away.
As this isn’t clear cut right/wrong case it’s a step in the right direction.

I have seen similar issues before. Normally sticking a flue out over an adjoining property is fine. However things move on and I have seen people who want to extend make their neighbours remove the offending outlet as it technically is an infringement on their property. This falls into this category and might be deemed unsafe regarding the new velux. Plainly the flue was right but no longer. I am a sensible householder and would never want to gas my neighbour, however if my neighbour approached me ...I would offer to share the costs if a vertical flue arrangement...then we all sleep soundly ...AND wake up. Thats the important bit centralheatking

I have seen similar issues before. Normally sticking a flue out over an adjoining property is fine. However things move on and I have seen people who want to extend make their neighbours remove the offending outlet as it technically is an infringement on their property. This falls into this category and might be deemed unsafe regarding the new velux. Plainly the flue was right but no longer. I am a sensible householder and would never want to gas my neighbour, however if my neighbour approached me ...I would offer to share the costs if a vertical flue arrangement...then we all sleep soundly ...AND wake up. Thats the important bit centralheatking
Hi Rob, I think your misunderstanding the siting of the flue as it does not stick out over the neighbours property, it’s sticks out over our conservatory on our property.........

ok, now I see, the rear of your property wraps around the side of the neighbouring home with the velux. Your neighbours retro fitted an opening and ventilating velux type roof window AFTER your boiler and fan assisted flue were installed.
There is concern that under certain circumstances, wind etc and the 'throw' of the fan the exhaust gas might enter what might be a bedroom in your neighbours property where someone might be asleep. It would be reasonable to expect their work came under building regulations and they would have proof of this. The resonsibility lies firmly with your neighbour AND the local authority building control. However right you may be it is still a concern for all three parties...building regs .or not ..arrange an urgent visit from building control and advise your neighbour to firmly close the velux and close the vent option permenantly until the position is ratified. let us know how you get on. Rob Foster
centralheatking

ok, now I see, the rear of your property wraps around the side of the neighbouring home with the velux. Your neighbours retro fitted an opening and ventilating velux type roof window AFTER your boiler and fan assisted flue were installed.
There is concern that under certain circumstances, wind etc and the 'throw' of the fan the exhaust gas might enter what might be a bedroom in your neighbours property where someone might be asleep. It would be reasonable to expect their work came under building regulations and they would have proof of this. The resonsibility lies firmly with your neighbour AND the local authority building control. However right you may be it is still a concern for all three parties...building regs .or not ..arrange an urgent visit from building control and advise your neighbour to firmly close the velux and close the vent option permenantly until the position is ratified. let us know how you get on. Rob Foster
centralheatking
Rob, we have contacted local building control but they have informed us due to the builder using a private building inspector they are not allowed to get involved. We have spoken to the building inspector on the job who apparently was reassured by the builder that not a problem because our flue was closer to our bedroom window! We did speak to him again and showed him a diagram from building regs planning portal,which has been posted on this thread, concerning distance between velux and flue but due to the fact that on the diagram it was a vertical flue and not horizontal one he said it didn’t apply. We did also point out the definition of a flue and it was unimportant wether horizontal or vertical.
The neighbours are aware of the situation but we believe again they have been reassured by the builder that there is not a problem.
We are also aware that it is being decorated at present for use as a bedroom.
This build has been done on a building notice were building can be carried out without submission of full plans ( very interesting as this means it is up to the builder and homeowner to abide by regs if they are aware of them!) like I say , the use of a private inspector has the local council unable to get involved.
We are at a loss.

We have enlightened the neighbours with our concerns but after initially being concerned they have been reassured by their builder that their window is correct and it is our flue that is wrong.

Haha typical builder response as we all know here builders are all knowing about flues ffs

Last edited:
Take the builder to court soon hear the reverse beeps of the builders comments.
My inlaws neighbour had an extension done where they built the extension the flue terminates in the gutter .
Totally acceptable according to the builder lol

All you can do is send the neighbours a letter, with the flue clearances diagram included.
Stipulate all your concerns and await a reply in writing.

Demand them to get something in writing from themselves, the builder and the private building inspector.

This may make the builder and inspector take some notice.

Other than that there is not much you can do, unless you want to pay out of your pocket for the flue to be rectified for your peace of mind.

As difficult as it may seem, just cover your concerns so that you will be deemed to have raised your concerns with the neighbour.

I’m very surprised that Gas Safe won’t investigate. I often find its who you talk to that depends what sort of response you get

Rob, we have contacted local building control but they have informed us due to the builder using a private building inspector they are not allowed to get involved. We have spoken to the building inspector on the job who apparently was reassured by the builder that not a problem because our flue was closer to our bedroom window! We did speak to him again and showed him a diagram from building regs planning portal,which has been posted on this thread, concerning distance between velux and flue but due to the fact that on the diagram it was a vertical flue and not horizontal one he said it didn’t apply. We did also point out the definition of a flue and it was unimportant wether horizontal or vertical.
The neighbours are aware of the situation but we believe again they have been reassured by the builder that there is not a problem.
We are also aware that it is being decorated at present for use as a bedroom.
This build has been done on a building notice were building can be carried out without submission of full plans ( very interesting as this means it is up to the builder and homeowner to abide by regs if they are aware of them!) like I say , the use of a private inspector has the local council unable to get involved.
We are at a loss.
Your next step is really quite simple now. Cover your arse !
Go to a local simple solicitor get the practice to draft a simple letter of information regarding the situation and clearly stipulate that all regulations and relevant authorities are aware of the situation and your property is in the clear. The actions of your neighbour and their agents might have placed them in a dangerous situation.
Your solicitor will advise about the method of service to ensure
you have proof of their reciept and the local building authorities etc and then. RELAX..if you want a hand drafting this letter I am happy to help as will others on here, you have been left in an invidious position.
Rob Foster ...aka centralheatking

The actions of your neighbour and their agents might have placed them in a dangerous situation.

Or, the neighbour might have simply been exercising their lawful rights to enjoy their own property without being poisoned by fumes that the OP is producing and allowing to cross the boundary. Just because Gas/Building Regs were complied with at one point in the past does not mean that there are no other legal issues.

IMO, the best advice in this thread so far has been post #15, i.e. spend £500 to get a vertical flue installed through the roof. My bet is that's all a solicitor will tell the OP to do in any case.

One thing I do know about the law of property is that it is very complicated and getting reliable advice is going to be expensive. If the OP can fix the problem permanently for less than £5k then they should do so because that's still going to be cheaper than the alternatives. A Gas Safe Installer charges ca £40 an hour, a solicitor will charge £200 an hour to ask the opinion of a barrister who charges £400 hour!

Or, the neighbour might have simply been exercising their lawful rights to enjoy their own property without being poisoned by fumes that the OP is producing and allowing to cross the boundary. Just because Gas/Building Regs were complied with at one point in the past does not mean that there are no other legal issues.

IMO, the best advice in this thread so far has been post #15, i.e. spend £500 to get a vertical flue installed through the roof. My bet is that's all a solicitor will tell the OP to do in any case.

One thing I do know about the law of property is that it is very complicated and getting reliable advice is going to be expensive. If the OP can fix the problem permanently for less than £5k then they should do so because that's still going to be cheaper than the alternatives. A Gas Safe Installer charges ca £40 an hour, a solicitor will charge £200 an hour to ask the opinion of a barrister who charges £400 hour!
a decent solicitor/barrister outfit costs £35o
per hour ...I paid that last Friday...and was happy because they got a result centralheatking

Chuck, nobody is denying them to exercise their rights to enjoy their own property, as long as they stick to building and gas regs that both have the same opinion about the distance from a flue to velux window.
The flue still complies to regs now, it is their positioning of the velux window that does not. As gas safe has said ‘ whichever was there first has the right to be there’.
What is the point to these regulations if people to not take notice.

OP I note you didn’t comment on my post #31

I suggest you find a local party wall surveyor and see what they say ......

OP I note you didn’t comment on my post #31

I suggest you find a local party wall surveyor and see what they say ..
Jeff Howell...is a very experienced party wall surveyor
he used to do the Sunday Telegraph column and operates in London and the home counties. centralheatking

What is the point to these regulations if people to not take notice.

You seem to be trying to persuade yourself that your neighbour, who neither owns nor benefits from your boiler or flue is the person responsible for ensuring your property complies with the Gas Safety Regulations.

I disagree. You own the boiler and you own the flue. In my opinion, that makes it your problem to ensure that the installation complies with Gas Safety Regulations and to ensure that your fumes don't cause harm or nusiance to your neighbours.

Anyway, you're not going to get the answer you want here so you need to ask a solicitor. Come back and let us know what they advise so we can all learn.

You seem to be trying to persuade yourself that your neighbour, who neither owns nor benefits from your boiler or flue is the person responsible for ensuring your property complies with the Gas Safety Regulations.

I disagree. You own the boiler and you own the flue. In my opinion, that makes it your problem to ensure that the installation complies with Gas Safety Regulations and to ensure that your fumes don't cause harm or nusiance to your neighbours.

Anyway, you're not going to get the answer you want here so you need to ask a solicitor. Come back and let us know what they advise so we can all learn.
With respect , our boiler and flue does comply to regulations, as I keep saying ,gas safe have told us that whatever was there first has the right to be there. Thanks for everyone s input......hopefully we will find an answer somewhere.

You see I also disagree and don’t think your flue is your neighbours responsibility. If there had been communication and agreement put in place then maybe. However now the thing is built, short of getting gas safe out, which they will, not sure why you’ve been told otherwise. I don’t personally think you’ll get many gas safe companies being too committal as it’s adhoc. Go back to gas safe and stress the issue

Think how many terraced houses have the boiler in the back bedroom the same as this.
If every neighbour built a rear extension with a window next to the flue they would all have to be changed??

Reply to Position of boiler flue in relation to velux window, advice pleas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock