Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Advice on cancelling jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi Guys, I am after some advice on cancelling jobs. I booked a job in thinking I would be able to fit it in in between jobs. I saw this wasn't going to happen and postponed it for a month. Now the client asked me when I would be able to do it. knowing there was an 70% chance I could not but not wanting to let them down I said next week. And I am not going g to be able to do it.

This has been a frustrating year for projects running over due to other trades not turning up on time. I have really got myself in a pickle.

Thanks for the advice in advance

Just ring them and be honest. Explain things have ran over due to unforeseen circumstances and that you understand if they need to try and find somebody that can do it sooner. But have a date ready that you know you can do it just incase.

I feel your stress. We've all been there.
You might be best off going to see them in person and explaining yourself to be honest. it will avoid them name calling hopefully.

Looking to the future, be honest, don't tie yourself in knots, try not to give dates and times, tell them when you 'think' it will be but you will ring them nearer the time to confirm, finish the job you started, leave a gap of a day between larger jobs if poss (it will get filled believe me).

If you succeed in doing this, tell me how!

I hope this helps and doesn't sound patronising?

It’s a right balancing act for a one man band ,no matter how hard you plan this happens .
I honestly dont think theres an answer , I leave massive gaps between jobs , but still tie myself in knots .

Thanks guys. You have confirmed what I thought. I have been leaving a week between jobs but due to rushing around trying to keep everyone happy I have 5 jobs that i need to go back and finish off. Lucky they are all understanding so far but I believe these people won't be as I already postponed it.

I am having to turn down lots of work which is killing me

Thanks guys. You have confirmed what I thought. I have been leaving a week between jobs but due to rushing around trying to keep everyone happy I have 5 jobs that i need to go back and finish off. Lucky they are all understanding so far but I believe these people won't be as I already postponed it.

I am having to turn down lots of work which is killing me
Welcome to the world of being a sole trader

What's your prices mut ? Maybe increase them a wee bit

I feel your stress. We've all been there.
You might be best off going to see them in person and explaining yourself to be honest. it will avoid them name calling hopefully.

Looking to the future, be honest, don't tie yourself in knots, try not to give dates and times, tell them when you 'think' it will be but you will ring them nearer the time to confirm, finish the job you started, leave a gap of a day between larger jobs if poss (it will get filled believe me).

If you succeed in doing this, tell me how!

I hope this helps and doesn't sound patronising?

Would be nice to tell them closer to the time but most people want a date there and then. I shall try this though

Someone else has said that. I charge 200 a day if a few days work

I would try 250 on one job and see how you go

What you putting on big materials eg bathroom etc ? 5%

10% On big materials and 20% fittings pipe etc. Boilers I usually charge 1k labour straight if less than 3 days. Usually 2 days most

Can you not try and get someone to do the job for you? Either that or just explain what has happened, but as you have already rearranged once they may go elsewhere if not a regular customer.

Can you not try and get someone to do the job for you? Either that or just explain what has happened, but as you have already rearranged once they may go elsewhere if not a regular customer.

Everyone I know is busy. The job also involves building cupboards, putting up plaster board, plastering etc. Electrics as well. So not easy to get someone who can do all.

It's actually just turning an under stairs area into a toilet room

I actually feel really bad. To be honest, I cannot believe how hard it is affecting me. :(

Just tell the customer your health has been declining due to stress and too much physical work and although you were trying to fit their job in, things have overwhelmed you.
You will suddenly feel better once you decline the job.
If the customer doesn't understand, then stuff them!
Note that few people work as hard as those in the building trade.
Make life easy for yourself as much as possible.

If you don't love doing / going to work what's the point don't over buck

Just tell the customer your health has been declining due to stress and too much physical work and although you were trying to fit their job in, things have overwhelmed you.
You will suddenly feel better once you decline the job.
If the customer doesn't understand, then stuff them!
Note that few people work as hard as those in the building trade.
Make life easy for yourself as much as possible.
Absolutely that.
It's a weirdly liberating feeling once you've cancelled that job that is the 'one job too many'. More often than not, if you just explain that you were trying to help them out but to do so would be letting others down, they'll understand. Give them a couple of phone numbers of other plumbers who you know to be reliable, even if you know they're busy they may be able to sort something sooner rather than later.

This is all good advice. The one fear-factor remains is if the customer is not understanding and fancies leaving some nasty online review about their wasted time. My mate's got one. I was subbing for him and over-worked and missed one appointment just for a freaking quote! Got a bad review which is still there.

So if you can't do it, cancel it during the first phone call.

I am in exactly the same position feel guilty about it but theres only so much you can do in a day , trying to arrange other installers to do some work for me but if your any good then your busy pushing prices up £220 - £250 a day its a real juggling act i have 4 big jobs on the go and others due to start just did 14 days straight but its not easy just be honest is my advice come clean , if its affecting your health tell them probably wont be happy but at least they will know where they stand . cheers kop

Thanks for all the advice guys. Told them the situation and they said it is ok but as this was the 2nd time I had cancelled they wanted a definite date and at the beginning of November. I said I am sorry but cannot do it Then, Told them the soonest would be the end of November. They were happy with that.

It is as you all said, I feel like a tonne of bricks have been moved from my shoulders. Relief!!!

I had the same issue when I went self employed. Didn't realise or more the fact I didnt expect I would get as busy as I would straight off. Larger jobs than expected, full bathrooms etc and it tied me up. Had to cancel / push jobs back that i didn't want to. They were happy once given a date but like you say, when stressing about it it really does get you down. Yet having "too much work" should never be a bad thing.

Appreciate this thread in the same boat myself now with regular customers all wanting you at the same time and not wanting to let anyone down or them to go to another local plumber just find yourself saying yes I can do it. stressful stuff working all the hours but don't seem to be getting anywhere as rent is ridiculous and I have 3 children & apprentice which all drain me at the moment.

glad to know I am not the only one in this boat :)

Appreciate this thread in the same boat myself now with regular customers all wanting you at the same time and not wanting to let anyone down or them to go to another local plumber just find yourself saying yes I can do it. stressful stuff working all the hours but don't seem to be getting anywhere as rent is ridiculous and I have 3 children & apprentice which all drain me at the moment.

How longs the apprentice been with you. Anything he can go off an do, such as tap changes etc?

How is the apprentice going. How long have they been with you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on cancelling jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me out with an issue I have with my baxi duotec boiler. Basically, the hot water temperature has...
Replies
Views
Toilet continuously flushing/cistern filling. This happens regardless of what else is going on within the house (videos were taken before and...
Replies
Views
As recommended by the welcome email, hello all, my name is James Pirie and I am not a plumber but a keen DIY enthusiast mostly due to the severe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I've joined the forum today as I've found myself going round in circles with what I think might be a pretty simple problem, hoping...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock