Discuss Advice on cancelling jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi Guys, I am after some advice on cancelling jobs. I booked a job in thinking I would be able to fit it in in between jobs. I saw this wasn't going to happen and postponed it for a month. Now the client asked me when I would be able to do it. knowing there was an 70% chance I could not but not wanting to let them down I said next week. And I am not going g to be able to do it.

This has been a frustrating year for projects running over due to other trades not turning up on time. I have really got myself in a pickle.

Thanks for the advice in advance

Just ring them and be honest. Explain things have ran over due to unforeseen circumstances and that you understand if they need to try and find somebody that can do it sooner. But have a date ready that you know you can do it just incase.

I feel your stress. We've all been there.
You might be best off going to see them in person and explaining yourself to be honest. it will avoid them name calling hopefully.

Looking to the future, be honest, don't tie yourself in knots, try not to give dates and times, tell them when you 'think' it will be but you will ring them nearer the time to confirm, finish the job you started, leave a gap of a day between larger jobs if poss (it will get filled believe me).

If you succeed in doing this, tell me how!

I hope this helps and doesn't sound patronising?

It’s a right balancing act for a one man band ,no matter how hard you plan this happens .
I honestly dont think theres an answer , I leave massive gaps between jobs , but still tie myself in knots .

Thanks guys. You have confirmed what I thought. I have been leaving a week between jobs but due to rushing around trying to keep everyone happy I have 5 jobs that i need to go back and finish off. Lucky they are all understanding so far but I believe these people won't be as I already postponed it.

I am having to turn down lots of work which is killing me

Thanks guys. You have confirmed what I thought. I have been leaving a week between jobs but due to rushing around trying to keep everyone happy I have 5 jobs that i need to go back and finish off. Lucky they are all understanding so far but I believe these people won't be as I already postponed it.

I am having to turn down lots of work which is killing me
Welcome to the world of being a sole trader

What's your prices mut ? Maybe increase them a wee bit

I feel your stress. We've all been there.
You might be best off going to see them in person and explaining yourself to be honest. it will avoid them name calling hopefully.

Looking to the future, be honest, don't tie yourself in knots, try not to give dates and times, tell them when you 'think' it will be but you will ring them nearer the time to confirm, finish the job you started, leave a gap of a day between larger jobs if poss (it will get filled believe me).

If you succeed in doing this, tell me how!

I hope this helps and doesn't sound patronising?

Would be nice to tell them closer to the time but most people want a date there and then. I shall try this though

Someone else has said that. I charge 200 a day if a few days work

I would try 250 on one job and see how you go

What you putting on big materials eg bathroom etc ? 5%

Can you not try and get someone to do the job for you? Either that or just explain what has happened, but as you have already rearranged once they may go elsewhere if not a regular customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on cancelling jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock