Search the forum,

Discuss 40mm to 50mm Threaded Reducer (Shower Waste) in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Stumbled into a bit of an issue. I am re-doing my En-Suite. I am at the stage where I am fitting the shower tray. The previous waste exit was 50mm. The trap that has come with the new tray is 40mm. I have been searching everywhere to find one of these in the UK but for love nor money I cannot find it.

Anyone in the trade know where i could source one. I know I could look for a 90mm trap with a 50mm exit, but would like to explore this avenue first.

Massive thanks in advance to anyone that can help out, cheers, Eddie.

Appreciate you taking the time to look but again its the wrong way round. what i have is a 40mm threaded exit pipe on the trap. it then connects to a pipe which is 50mm.
Post photo your trap will be compression so you will probably have to com of in 40 mm the use a reducer to get to 50 mm

What you are describing would be very unusual, as the lads say it is almost certainly a compression outlet designed to take plain pipe. This can then be stepped up to 50mm by a reducing coupling.

i'll try and explain because its probably not as clear. where my current waste pipe sits, was connected to a shower trap that had a smaller diameter hole in the tray. the new tray has a 90mm hole so the trap exit is closer to the waste pipe.

the new trap came with an angled exit attached to the trap. 40mm trap side which has a push fit on it which is 50mm thus sitting over the 40mm waste pipe. due to it sitting closer, i cannot use the angled waste. i can however go direct with something straight and small connected to the 40mm pipe and using parts of the pushfit to join and seal it.

my existing waste travels along the wall in a box, it comes out at the shower tray and uses 2 45 degree corners to get to where the trap exit is.

i didnt realise this would be a specific case.

Last edited:
Not sure which trap you have but often they will accept a compression nut/cone washer straight into the trap if you just throw away the angled piece that comes with it.

OR;

Can you not cut the waste pipe back a bit and start again from there to the new trap, using the adapter that came with it?

unfortunately i dont think i have enough to play with without ripping something out.

IMG-3510.jpg

You've got a mix there of compression and solvent, really the thing to do is use all solvent. Mark the position of where the trap should be and solvent it in place and then lower the shower tray in place. Oh I'd also insulate under the tray or it'll sound like a monsoon is hitting the tiles if that is an upstairs bathroom with a power shower.

You've got a mix there of compression and solvent, really the thing to do is use all solvent. Mark the position of where the trap should be and solvent it in place and then lower the shower tray in place. Oh I'd also insulate under the tray or it'll sound like a monsoon is hitting the tiles if that is an upstairs bathroom with a power shower.
I am in a first floor apartment but its the car ports that are under me, source is direct from a combi boiler to a mixer.

Reply to 40mm to 50mm Threaded Reducer (Shower Waste) in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock