Search the forum,

Discuss 3 way ball valve L port for drinking water advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I have water filtering system (reverse osmosis) installed with 2 outputs which use 1/4 outer diameter plastic pipes and push fit connectors. I have a kitchen tap with a single separate entry for filtered water. I would like to have a ball valve under the sink that would switch between 2 outputs with a single move and direct water to kitchen tap. This lever would be used a few times a day so decided not to go for a plastic ones.
I have been searching online for past week and found "3 way ball valve with L port" to be the best in terms of our functionality needs but couldn't find one that would be stated as safe for drinking water as most 1/4 or 3/8 bsp valves are designed for industrial high pressure equipment.

Below are the questions i hoped that some of you would be able to help me with:
1) What is the best metal for drinking water valves, i saw many chrome plated brass valves but read that it contains some lead? It is only for filtered water and no high pressure so not sure if stainless steel is required but I will go for whatever is the healthiest option.
2) Would 1/4 bsp be the best size for 1/4 outer diameter plastic pipe or could i go for 3/8 or 1/2 bsp? My concern is that it is a filtered drinking water coming from 1/4 OD plastic pipe and going to larger diameter opening in a valve and going back to smaller opening 1/4 OD plastic pipe may create a space where the same water will be circulated and not flush thoroughly. There are adapters for 1/4 OD push fit to male 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 bsp so connection wise it shouldn't be a problem.
3) Is 3 way ball valve L port the best solution to switch between 2 sources with single move? We just didn't want to install a separate tap with 2 inputs for filtered water in addition to existing kitchen tap at the sink. My plan was adding non return valves before going to 3 way ball valve to prevent water mixing too much.

Thank you in advance

Reply to 3 way ball valve L port for drinking water advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock