Discuss 15M pump required, one large Vs 2 small in series? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm specifying a new system. It has a 15M head, I called Grundfos and they recommended Magna3 40-150 rrp £1,640. (using rrp for reference only)
A friend recommended 2 no. Grundfos Magna3 32-80 in series, rrp £628 (Total £1,256).
Running costs of 2no. 32-80 is a third of 40-150.
Grundfos technical advised they do not recommend running in series, nor do they recommend you do not run in series, they are mute on the subject.

This seems like a no brainer to me, what am I missing?

no you cant sorry to say

Grundfos advised 1st pump should be configured with autoAdapt, with second pump fixed rate. This way AutoAdapt will adjust accordingly.
But Grundfos said 2nd pump would always be running at 100% which would reduce life and ties in with your comment.

I've got some more realistic prices, difference is about £200

I'm still leaning towards 2 in series.

Grundfos advised 1st pump should be configured with autoAdapt, with second pump fixed rate. This way AutoAdapt will adjust accordingly.
But Grundfos said 2nd pump would always be running at 100% which would reduce life and ties in with your comment.

I've got some more realistic prices, difference is about £200

I'm still leaning towards 2 in series.

have a look at dab pumps

If running 2 pumps in series was so much more efficient then all manufacturers would offer twin inline pump sets.
Can't say I've seen any.

The final cost of the installed pumps will be about the same after allowing for mounting and connecting up 2 pumps against just mounting 1 at a slightly higher purchase price.

If running 2 pumps in series was so much more efficient then all manufacturers would offer twin inline pump sets.
Can't say I've seen any.

The final cost of the installed pumps will be about the same after allowing for mounting and connecting up 2 pumps against just mounting 1 at a slightly higher purchase price.

Does not make commercial sense to sell pumps in series, when they can make more money selling one.

You have a valid point on extra time and vales, but if I allow £10 for valves and an extra hour work at £20, I'm still £170 better of running in series.

So technically I still see no reason not to run in series ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 15M pump required, one large Vs 2 small in series? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

W
Hi all, firstly I know this has probably been covered several times elsewhere but I haven't seen it with the exact same requirements as ours so...
Replies
Views
TBServices
T

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock