Discuss yes i am wrong in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately sentiment doesn't come in to it, i.e how old the customer is, how poor/ how rich they are etc etc. If its ID its ID. Basically you failed to do your job correctly. You shouldn't be on here asking advice, especially as you know you are in the wrong, what do you want a pat on the back and a don't do it again! There is all ready enough cowboys out there.

I dont think the guys a cow boy and some of these comments are very harsh. Its easy to say you should of done this or that but its hard when your there he's let his heart rule his head and has made a bad call with no malice intended. He needs to go back and explain the situation. If he gets no luck he needs to ring gas safe himself and explain and ask for guidance. We're all human and make mistakes. Its people that have total disregard for others that need hanging.

they've probably got a stash of cash under the mattress, Quote them for a new boiler, what would British gas do?

Definitely harsh calling erj a cowboy. It was the wrong call in really difficult circumstances but done out of compassion not out of greed or incompetence. -
Wish he'd update us on what's been done about it. One of us will sort out a burner, i'll even post it foc if i've got it.
I don't personally fit 2nd hand appliances because of the aggro it causes me but I will fit 2nd hand parts for obsolete appliances. Had a baxi wm that was spot on except the burner had cracked. Couldn't find another for a reasonable price but had one in great condition in the shed. Couldn't in good conscience take their money for a new boiler knowing I could get it up and running in a few minutes at no cost to myself.

Hopefully he'll come back and tell us what he sorted in the end.

I 've had some serious rows with customers over things in the past, (nearly physical at one stage but for his missus savin' him) but there is no way I'm gettin' back in the van if things are not as they should be.
Ye have more robust rules which means it's up to us rgii to makesure systems are right. Customers have been lost over my attitude but as a self employed plumber I get little enough sleep as it is due to second guessin' myself.

Regarding secondhand stuff, I carry sensors/stats etc for oil/gas purely for keeping the boiler going until I return with the new part.

My skint ma refused to have the gas backboiler serviced for 15 years on the grounds that 'it's so old they'll condemn it'. I eventually found out this wasn't true and recommended a gas guy who I know is picky, but fair.

She let him in when I explained he'll only condemn if it's actually dangerous. He insisted on an extra vent etc, but said the boiler itself is fine. All are happy.

I guess at the end of the day a gas guy has to issue an ID if that's what it is.

Went to service a baxi BBu today, boiler burner was cracked, boiler case was baddly chroded, every thing else was fine.
should have recomened a new boiler soon, or at leaset get a new burner. BUT customer is 84, his wife was up stairs dieing of cancer and you could see they had nothing, (charged ÂŁ20.00 for service). Yes iam wrong for not saying any think, but what would you have done?

Yes wrong 100%

Your not doing your job properly and your risking lives.

I would have turned it off until it was either repaired or replaced.

I went to a GSI the other day and put my screwdriver through a case without any force, i spent the next half an hour arguing/explaining to the customer that I was here to do a Gas Safety Cert, me being there is not a guarantee it will pass and it is for their safety.

I wouldn't do anything for ÂŁ20.00 prices like that ruin it for everyone else, I couldn't insure myself and my van etc etc etc at those rates.

Like I think its been mentioned before, let them die of natural causes not of carbon monoxide poisoning. I am sure you dont want to live with that on your conscious.

Is it give an old thread a home week this week?

Haha sorry I didn't look at its dat.

1) I was batting some spare time about waiting for my thread to be published
2) need to get my post counts up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to yes i am wrong in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock