Discuss wd40 and taps (and worried customer) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hiya,
I used WD40 on the packing gland of a stop tap the other day (to help free it up - which it did). My customer was concerned the WD40 could work its way through the tap and into her drinking water.
I tried to explain that WD40 is routinely used to unstick taps, and is fine on tap exteriors, and unlikely to work its way through to the water supply. She was still worried though.
How would you explain it to her better?
Thanks,
Jennie

use silicone spray/grease to save the hassle, wd will leave traces of oil she can see, to worry her and unless you use a grease anyhow, its gonna sieze again in short shrift

If the WD40 was able to get into the water then the water would be able to get into the WD40 and therefore still be leaking.
Since the water is under pressure and not the other way around she has nothing to worry about.
Even a small amount if it did mix somehow, would be so diluted that it would be undetectable anyway

Some people really do worry about nothing!

If by some miracle it did find its way into the water supply, can you imagine how diluted it would be?

Technically you shouldn't be using WD40 on a water fitting as it's not WRAS approved.

WD 40 harldy ever works on anything anyway. Most of the time, it makes very little difference.

I usually get told to put it on!! Give her an estimate for new taps, make money from your advice, otherwise she will ring you in 2 weeks telling you she is ill from the wd40.

wd 40 dont work on hot and seized fans either, just scares the custard with all the smelly smoke :) (and flames!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to wd40 and taps (and worried customer) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock