Search the forum,

Discuss Water hammer at same time every night in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I wonder can anyone give me some advice over what has become a very annoying situation?

Approximately three months ago, what I assume to be water hammer started in the airing cupboard of my second floor flat. This manifested, and continues to do so, as a repeated, i.e. every 60 seconds or so, banging or knocking as if the pipes are moving or coughing,

The sound seems to occur primarily during the late evenings and at the night, usually between 01 00 - 04 30 hrs, although I have heard it during the day as well. The sound is also rather loud at approximately 50 decibels.

A plumber was unable to identify the specific cause of the problem but did determine that the stopcock was defective. However, this does not affect the water supply to, and within, my flat.

So, can anyone advise:
  • Can a defective stopcock cause repeated water hammer?
  • Why such water hammer frequently happens at the times described above?
  • What can / should be done about this?
Thanks

Mr Gwent.

Water hammer can be caused by a number of things but normally water will be flowing when it occurs.

Yes a faulty stop tap (with a loose jumper) can cause it but that would usually be when water is flowing through it and stops flowing e.g. on closing a tap further down the supply.

If the flats are fed by a tank/storage system then it could be the ball tap opening and closing (maybe oscillating if this sounds continuous over time).

Water pressure is generally higher through the night (off peak) and this can mean that water hammer is more likely to occur.

Is the block of flats tank fed?
Have you mentioned it to maintenance (if there is such a thing)?
Could it be other residents who are up and about during the night using the water when the pressure is higher?

There are things that can be done to cure it but you would normally need to identify the cause first.

@Last Plumber

Thanks for your reply. I am not aware of any of the other flats having a problem of the kind I have described. In any case, each flat in my block has its own water tank and hot water cylinder.

Sometimes, my flat's stopcock does cough if water is used in another flat, but that does not explain the frequent noise at night. However, when the noise does occur, a vibration in the pipe above the stopcock can be felt.

Mr Gwent.

@Last Plumber

Thanks for your reply. I am not aware of any of the other flats having a problem of the kind I have described. In any case, each flat in my block has its own water tank and hot water cylinder.

Sometimes, my flat's stopcock does cough if water is used in another flat, but that does not explain the frequent noise at night. However, when the noise does occur, a vibration in the pipe above the stopcock can be felt.

Mr Gwent.
Try turning the water to the stopcock off at night to see if that makes a difference. If it does it may need to be replaced.

Are we sure it's water hammer and not expansion and contraction on a heating pipe rubbing against something? Assuming, of course, there is any heating switched on at that time of night (as is the modern trend).

First thing I do with that kind of noise is replace all the diaphragms in toilets and float valves no matter how remote from the noise.
Can sometimes be tap valves too

@Last Plumber

That's part of the problem, i.e. the handle on the stopcock won't budge!

Mr Gwent.
If you are not DIY competent in the matter, you should perhaps get a Plumber in to sort the stopcock and whilst they're at it, replace the ball valve. For the small amount they cost it is worth swapping it to rule it out if you are going to pay for the services of a pro.

Reply to Water hammer at same time every night in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock