Discuss Want to break contract because cheapskate landlord won't put in central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charli Downing

I've had Environmental Health at my property today because my landlord only supplied me useless, inefficient electric radiators. EH told me they are actually illegal. I've been at the property for over a year and complained many times about the heating system. My contract lasts another two years, with no break clause. My estate agent is no help at all, does anyone know if him not supplying a legal heating system consitutes him breaching the tenancy agreement? It has the clause about the landlord/tenant act 1985 re heating but im not sure if I can leave the property on these grounds.

I have a two year old son and I dont think the property can be classed as inhabitable if it doesnt have adequate heating.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

I would think that the Citizen's Advice Bureau would be your best bet for advice or, maybe a consultation with a solicitor - many will give the first hour free but check first.

Sound advice here... hope it works out for original poster good luck and let us know how you get on:)regards turnpin

where do you live charli ???are you not on an assured shorthold tenency agreement under part 1 f the housing act 1988 which was ammended again under part 3 of the housing act 1996 what is th etitle at the top of ten aggreement?

Last edited by a moderator:
where do you live charli ???are you not on an assured shorthold tenency agreement under part 1 f the housing act 1988 which was ammended again under part 3 of the housing act 1996 what is th etitle at the top of ten aggreement?

I live in Kingston (upon thames) near SW London. I have an assured shorthold tenancy, but, to be honest, I'm not really sure what that means!

dont worry you are only tied for 6mths i am a landlord and although i try to get people tied in for as long as i can on paper by law they can leave after 6 mths with an assured shorthold tennancy if they want with no repercussions , i agree with above posts about cab and half hour free with solicitor as they would take it on for you but might be worth looking at any info you can from residential landlords association rla to ease your mind but you have a lot more rights than you will be lead to belive by dodgy landlords was just wondering where you were but wrong end of country for any of my vacant propertys.you dont need to even give a reason why you want to leave after a period of 6 months has elapsed

that is such great news, thank you so much, you've really reassured me. ive got an appointment with the CAB tomorrow morning.

thank you everyone for your help, i really do appreciate it. i will sleep a lot better tonight! thanks xx

i always let my propertys myself as unfortunatly the letting agents are only looking after one person and thats number one its not in thier interest to help you out of the property but dont despair you will be ok ,would be interested to find out how you get on good luck

I though environmental health could write to your landlord and threaten legal action if he does not sort the heating system out - ask and see what action they can take.

Next time dont rent a house with inadaquate heating though!

why did you rent a property with poor heating personally i have no sympathy tennants often take the cheapest most run down property at low rent then withhold rent by arguing that the property is sub standard no one forced you to take out the tennancy if you dont understand the tennacy agreement why did you sign it.time for legal advice is before you sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Want to break contract because cheapskate landlord won't put in central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back