Discuss Very SLOW to thermostat! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wimmer

By slow I mean a digital thermostat, (fitted by a CORGI gas engineer who put our new gas boiler), which takes ages to move up or down a degree, by which time the house is either too hot or too cold. I presume it was put in a decent spot! It is on an inside wall in the centre of the house, insulated with radiator foil from the wall. There is a rad 6 feet from it but the thermostat still takes ages to shut off, and the house gets really hot. I suppose that rad maybe why it doesn't turn on very quick, even so the house temp may drop 3 degrees before it comes on again. The thermostat is a Greenbrook HC1 (I think), is there a 'better' thermostat I should try? Thanks.

Is there a neutral wire wired up to the thermostat?

Is there a neutral wire wired up to the thermostat?
Hi thanks for replying, I did take the front of the therm off and could see 2 wires - What they are I don't know, I assume power in - power out? Sorry for the probably inadequate response.

There is a live in and a switched live out. the thermostat will still work like that but will not be as sensitive ie will turn on/off within 5 degrees or so of the temperature set. if a permanent neutral is wired to the stat, (you will then have 3 wires) it will turn on/off within a degree or 2 of the desired temperature. Hope this makes sense.

also is there a trv on the rad that is 6feet away? the thermostats compete with each other ?

There is a live in and a switched live out. the thermostat will still work like that but will not be as sensitive ie will turn on/off within 5 degrees or so of the temperature set. if a permanent neutral is wired to the stat, (you will then have 3 wires) it will turn on/off within a degree or 2 of the desired temperature. Hope this makes sense.

Hi, no the actual temp shown on the stat takes like ages to change, by which time I have has to manually either change 'on' or 'off' temp setting. Thanks anyways.

also is there a trv on the rad that is 6feet away? the thermostats compete with each other ?

No there is np trv. I think I am going to try the stat in a different location. Thanks anyway.

Modern digital stats use a NTC thermistor to measure the temperature, so they do not need a neutral connection to ensure a small on/off differential.

what temperature do you have stat set to?
honeywell or drayton are much better brands but all stats should work just as good as each other.
Try getting another thermometer and testing the temperature to see if it is working properly

Modern digital stats use a NTC thermistor to measure the temperature, so they do not need a neutral connection to ensure a small on/off differential.

Spot on doit, any hysteresis is built in by the manufactures and should be no more than 1 Deg C or the stat would be no use any less and the valve or pump would be on and off like a fiddlers elbow

By slow I mean a digital thermostat, (fitted by a CORGI gas engineer who put our new gas boiler), which takes ages to move up or down a degree, by which time the house is either too hot or too cold. I presume it was put in a decent spot! It is on an inside wall in the centre of the house, insulated with radiator foil from the wall. There is a rad 6 feet from it but the thermostat still takes ages to shut off, and the house gets really hot. I suppose that rad maybe why it doesn't turn on very quick, even so the house temp may drop 3 degrees before it comes on again. The thermostat is a Greenbrook HC1 (I think), is there a 'better' thermostat I should try? Thanks.

It's insulated from the wall? Remove foil please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Very SLOW to thermostat! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open...
Replies
Views
WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees...
Replies
Views
M
Hi I live in elderly sheltered property and have nothing but trouble with thermostat. I’m a bit confused. When i put it on 19 degrees intuitively...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock