Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostat Not Dropping Quickly Enough in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Mark777

Hi

I live in elderly sheltered property and have nothing but trouble with thermostat. I’m a bit confused. When i put it on 19 degrees intuitively i would say that when it reaches 19 it would turn off the boiler. But it goes to 20 before the boiler switches off. You now have to wait for it to drop to 19 before it comes on again, i assumed. But on reaching 19 it still did not come on. It came on at 18.5 degrees.

The problem is this took 4 hours 10 minutes despite the bungalow going cold long before this. In fact it was cold within 30 minutes. We end up having to turn the thermostat up a degree to make it come back on again. But when it gets to 21 degrees it’s back to square one because it will now take a long time for it to drop back down and come on. So we have to turn it up again!

Is this normal or am I misunderstanding something? Surely the purpose of the thermostat is to maintain a warm temperature throughout the day? We had a similar problem with the previous analogue thermostat which would click on and off around 15 degrees even though it was warmer than that. The new thermostat in the last couple of weeks is digital as we thought it would give us more control.

Am i expecting too much in thinking that it just cycles on and off every few minutes to maintain 19 degrees? What ive ended up doing is exploring various temperatures on the boiler even going quite low (40) to compare warmth and cost. Now it just comes on and stays on cycling between burner on and condensing. Im now looking at manually turning it off for 10 minutes or so throught the evening to see if that uses less or more gas.

I notice the install menu the engineer chose fast (F) to reach set point. I wonder if Slow would make any difference.

Many thanks.

Mark

Hi

Seems to have resolved itself. Noticed the battery compartment wasn't fully pushed in. Since then it's now doing what i hoped it would. Still don't know if it will take too long for temperature to drop before it turns back on. I'm assuming it gets to the setpoint and maintains temperature but if it gets to 0.5 above setpoint i'm wondering if it will have to go down before boiler fires up even if it's getting a bit cold.

Thanks.

My first thought is that although your radiators are coming on and off under the control of the thermostat they are not emitting enough power when they do. This could be because the flow temperature on the boiler is too low and/or or the pump that circulates the water is set too low or failing and/or the radiators have not been 'balanced' correctly.

To start with, I think some more details about your system would be helpful here. E.g., do you have panel radiators or underfloor heating? How many radiators in total. Do the radiators have individual thermostatic valves fitted to them. Are any radiators turned down/off? Can you tell us what make / model the thermostat is? Does the property have its own boiler, if so what make / model / age?

Hi

Seems to have resolved itself. Noticed the battery compartment wasn't fully pushed in. Since then it's now doing what i hoped it would. Still don't know if it will take too long for temperature to drop before it turns back on. I'm assuming it gets to the setpoint and maintains temperature but if it gets to 0.5 above setpoint i'm wondering if it will have to go down before boiler fires up even if it's getting a bit cold.

Thanks.

I did wonder if maybe the boiler wasn't actually working off the thermostat and instead was reaching a set back temperature before it starts up?

Based on the information in post #1, my guess is that the problem has three elements: Firstly, low circulation which is responsible for the slow heating. Secondly, the thermostat seems to be using on-off control (as opposed to TPI), which is responsible for the hysteresis. Finally, the OP is noticing the difference between 'thermal comfort' and 'air temperature' and feeling cold during the period when the radiators are off because the lack of radiant heat in the room reduces the 'thermal comfort'.

I didn't see post #2 before I wrote post #3. If reseating the batteries in the the stat hasn't fixed the problems then I'm sure we can help further given a few more details and a few rounds of Q&A.

Reply to Thermostat Not Dropping Quickly Enough in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock