Search the forum,

Discuss Vaillant Boiler Size in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

We have an ecotech plus 837 in our house that was originally over rated on installation.
It was installed based on the hot water flow rate and told that the heating would modulate itself down accordingly.
This is the case in very cold weather but not when its a bit warmer.

It is now having a few starting issues which will need repairing so i'm wondering if now is the time that we get a smaller boiler.

My question is What boilers if any are physically a direct replacement for the boiler? It is on a standard top plumbing bracket on the wall.
I would like not to have to re-plumb any of the pipework and ideally not the flue as its in a cupboard in a finished kitchen.
Are there any models that will just lift on the existing installation?

Thanks

None of the large ecotech combis have very good modulation, I would get the right boiler/engineer first.

Edit: not true, the Ecotech Exclusive has a modulation of around 7:1 so min load of around 4kw, although it states in the literature that mod is 10:1. I just looked at min and maximum heating loads.

Last edited:
The "normal" Vaillant of min output 5/6kw seem to have difficulty getting away again during cycling as they hold the firing at 70%/80% for 60 secs on start up leading to water temp exceeding Target+5C (and only on target+3C with one poster on here) which results in boiler shut down again or else the deltaT exceeds 30C again leading to shut down, don't know if this is common on other makes. I can certainly vouch that a relation's Vokera Vision 20S, min output 5.5kw, will cycle quite happily with a demand as low as 1.5kw (one rad), it just has a anti cycle time of 1 minute and will then run for ~ 5 minutes before repeating the cycle. This boiler auto range rates to 75% of max for 10 minutes after firing so 15kw in this case but the boiler still has no control problems on cycling.

Thanks for your replies.

The sizing of the boiler will be done by an engineer if it happens.
I am more interested in the pipes lining up. are they the same spacings for the entire ecotech range?
I would like the engineer to not have to re plumb as its all behind kitchen cupboards.
If the pipes do not line up then we'll probably have stick with the larger oversized boiler for now

Thanks

You could have a Vaillant Green IQ, same pipe centres, 1:10 modulation range although tbh i'd stick with the 838 Plus. The GreenIQ range has been problematic. The 835 actually outputs more on CH so you'd be daft to go down to a 835 if you're bothered about modulation range.

Your best bet would be to use the Vaillant controls that set the flow temperature, the SensoHome or SensoComfort.

If you wait a bit longer they're launching a new Plus later this year/early next.

Another boiler of a smaller output will not line up but the alterations should be able to be done inside the unit , another 837 would probably fit with minor alterations it is possible to range rate the heating load and alter the cycling time but 5-6 kw is about as low as your gonna get , other than that it might be best to use Valliant controls and weather compensation as recommended above . Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210728-195653.png
    Screenshot_20210728-195653.png
    694.9 KB · Views: 4

Reply to Vaillant Boiler Size in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock