Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented hot water, poor flow. Blocked filter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoyalCrabs

Hi guys!

Dealing with an unvented Hot Water cylinder that has apparently been fine till a few weeks ago. Someone decided to turn the mains stopcock right down as the pressure was 'too high' and over time the flow rate has reduced to a trickle when left on for 10-20 secs (hot water..).

I suspect the cylinder isnt filling quick enough to keep up with the tap outlets (same story with every tap in the house, worse upstairs for obvs. reasons), could it be a blocked filter on the inlet to the cylinder?
Not worked much on these systems before but have a rough idea.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, like I said I think the filter could be blocked but not sure.

Thanks!

1st point, do you have the qualification to do the work?

pressure to high?? where?? why??
might be more than 1 problem here.

Wow.

Yes, I am qualified but have not worked on these systems for ages. Ive stated in another post that most of my work has been on basic plumbing. Slowly building up more confidence to take on slightly more complex work.

I'm just looking into the problem, doing a bit of research (not just this forum..) before even attempting any work myself.

Simon, I'm not quite clear. It was second hand information. I think he thought the mains pressure was too high on cold water outlets and turned it down a few weeks ago...

Did that "Someone" previously adjsut the pressure at the cylinder first before truning the stopcock down I wonder??

Is the cold supply to the taps Balanced?

Pressure shouldnt have been too high cos you should have a prv on the cold inlet to the cylinder. you could have a look at the filter in that.

It was translated through the wife.. So wasnt that clear,

Im having a chat with 'someone' tomorrow afternoon to get it straight from the horses mouth.

We aren't deliberately being hard on you mate but it's a safety thing, I'm sure you understand.

No I totally get that.

But I tend to try and be respectful and pleasant in every post I have made thus far on this forum. Every day I aim to gain more confidence and build my career and am very VERY cautious when it comes to things I'm not confident in. I spent a shed load of money on my qualifications a few years back but the company changed management and fudged everyone around so they never placed me with a plumber for proper work experience.. (there's only so much a classroom can teach you..).

I found work with a plumber last year but he was such a cowboy and notoriously abrasive I couldn't work with him any longer and became self employed.
I have all the text books, but prefer to ask experienced tradesmen for their opinion to cast a wider net to cover all advice, tips and what not..

Hence why I make posts here.

-Que tiny violins-

If you want, scan a copy of your G3 card and send it me, I'll keep the baying wolves off your back then

This says a lot about qualifications - not worth their cost as they mean you are legal to work on unvented, but perhaps clueless.
Obviously your first check is the filter & if flow is good to the PRV, but once you start tampering with the unit then you are responsible for how safe it is! That will mean a full check on everything including the install & therefore a service.

Last edited:
This says a lot about qualifications - not worth their cost as they mean you are legal to work on unvented, but perhaps clueless.
Obviously your first check is the filter & if flow is good to the PRV, but once you start tampering with the unit then you are responsible for how safe it is! That will mean a full check on everything including the install & therefore a service.

Unfortunately more and more training establishments are going this way.

I very much agree with you.
Its why I always check, re check, and check again on everything I do.
I dont plan on going further then checking the filter and already told the customer this (I'm quite honest with them, known them for a while).

Its good you know to stick to your limitations.

will be your saving grace :)

I very much agree with you.
Its why I always check, re check, and check again on everything I do.
I dont plan on going further then checking the filter and already told the customer this (I'm quite honest with them, known them for a while).

Maybe I worry too much, but what if the unvented cylinder has an expansion vessel & it is failed, perhaps also the PRV is faulty plus the D2 pipe is too small or discharging to a wrong place? You would need to know what to check, because your friends might turn out enemies.

We need to get you into the warm & cosy place we called the Plumbers Arms, RoyalCrabs, I think the Landlord may allow minors in, so long as they don't drink & are over 16. LOL
Within is sound proof walls we can talk the night away about un-vented system without fear of outsiders taking that information & using it to carry out work illegally which could be a danger to themselves or others.
Ask Mr Croppie how you would find your way to such a place (i.e. PM him), once in, we will soon get you up to speed.

Last edited:
We need to get you into the warm & cosy place we called the Plumbers Arms, RoyalCrabs, I think the Landlord may allow minors in, so long as they don't drink & are over 16. LOL
Within is sound proof walls we can talk the night away about un-vented system without fear of outsiders taking that information & using it to carry out work illegally which could be a danger to themselves or others.
Ask Mr Croppie how you would find your way to such a place (i.e. PM him), once in, we will soon get you up to speed.

This sounds erotic, yet really fascinating.
I did PM him, lets hope this isnt a practical joke.
:p

no joke and croppie likes red lipstick.

Stopped wearing it, it clashes with my eyes......

You need 100 posts to get into the hallowed sanctuary of the Arms. Plus a thick skin, a willingness to stand a round even when you think it should be my turn, especially when you think it should be my turn, and the ability to turn a blind eye to the fact I might substitute your nice and empty bar tab for my 472 page one.............

Stopped wearing it, it clashes with my eyes......

You need 100 posts to get into the hallowed sanctuary of the Arms. Plus a thick skin, a willingness to stand a round even when you think it should be my turn, especially when you think it should be my turn, and the ability to turn a blind eye to the fact I might substitute your nice and empty bar tab for my 472 page one.............

Pshh, challenge accepted !!

In the mean time till the royal STD has 100 posts.

can someone pm him and help him out!

you'll fit in well here crabs :D

KB thinks I am picking on him and wants another target to ease the pain away fm him :)

As long as I'm given plumbing cheat codes to get to the next boss I'll be anyones pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented hot water, poor flow. Blocked filter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock