Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented cylinder, stats keep failing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOSSEP

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Unvented water heater question - Gledhill direct 90l

Was called to a club and the water was getting too hot, done some checks and the thermostat was not working (not turning off). Changed the stat and all worked, called back after 2 weeks and it had gone again, put it down to a faulty stat and duly replaced it. Tested the water temp after it had got to temperature and it was reaching a nice 59 degrees, voltage reading around 244v

Had a call again this week saying the water temp has started getting too high, this stat has managed about 4 weeks until it has failed. Going to go back and measure the resistance of the element, but never had one where that has failed and caused an increase in load.

Any ideas other than changing the element?

Cheers

Martin

Thought about getting a sparky in sounds like there getting fried?

Was something similar couple months back in the plumbing section direct cylinder going through immersions every couple of months not sure on the outcome though

I am one, but cannot see an electrical reason for it. The voltage is fine, but not come across a element where the resistance has lowered before. There are no loose connections at all.

Could be wired the wrong way, so will come on when above 60! Easy to check with multimeter.

Really? ive never seen one where that is possible, these ones only have 2 terminals

Could it be the immersion element frying the stats? I would drain down & fit a new immersion which would come with the stat?

Going to recommend changing the element and see if that fixes it in think. Ive worked on loads of these but never had this happen, if an element fails its usually a dead short or open circuit

Not familiar with Gledhill. Has it got a sacrificial anode?

Could be that needs replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented cylinder, stats keep failing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock