Discuss Towel rad piping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NAV

Hi all, i need to fit a towel rad on my own house not for a customer so i think i should be ok breaking the rules once.

I have a unvented system and i want the towel rad on constant so i was thinking of piping it in just before the zone valve.

Just wanted to know if i might have any problems after i fill the system and fire it up?

I can only think of one, which is unlikley, the water will set up a little circuit between the boiler and the rad and avoid the coil.

Any ideas?

you could fit a lockshield valve after u T off of the flow, and have it barely open this will prevent water short circuiting around towel rad and then balance it with valve on return.

Ill fit it first an if i have any problems i will just have try and suss them out but hopefully all should be ok

Do as GQ says fit a gate valve on then you
Can throttle it down to suit

If fancy valves no lockshield better to have throttle valve IMHO

I will try the normal lockshields first and balance it as usual and then if i get any problems i will fit a gate vale to restrict the water flow
Thanks for the advice

sure why not ,if you are plumber ! sorry did not read full your first post that you are doing it in your home ! I thought it was DIY job

Hi all, i need to fit a towel rad on my own house not for a customer so i think i should be ok breaking the rules once.

I have a unvented system and i want the towel rad on constant so i was thinking of piping it in just before the zone valve.

Just wanted to know if i might have any problems after i fill the system and fire it up?

I can only think of one, which is unlikley, the water will set up a little circuit between the boiler and the rad and avoid the coil.

Any ideas?

To do it properly you'd have to fit an extra 2 port, timer and stat otherwise you'd have no boiler interlock, a TRV on the towel rad will not tell the boiler to stop firing when the room is up to temp.

To do it properly you'd have to fit an extra 2 port, timer and stat otherwise you'd have no boiler interlock, a TRV on the towel rad will not tell the boiler to stop firing when the room is up to temp.
why dont you fit a heat only small one just 12 kw for the tower rad if you going to need two port valve,timer,stat, just throw A PUMP AND EXPANSION VESSEL AND YOU WILL BE OK:p:p:p:p:p:p;);););)

why dont you fit a heat only small one just 12 kw for the tower rad if you going to need two port valve,timer,stat, just throw A PUMP AND EXPANSION VESSEL AND YOU WILL BE OK:p:p:p:p:p:p;);););)

Might as well go the whole hog eh? Gotta be cheaper than the gas bill after a lifetime of the boiler cycling round the bypass valve (if there is one) when the TRV shuts.
As above, electric is the way to go, have a holiday with the money you'd save.

Im going to pipe it in before the zone valve because the dwh is constant and the heating is on a timer so i thought i can have one towel rad on always. I dont need another zone valve or trvs or pump. I am just going to balance the rad so the water doest short circuit in the rad and avoids the coil.
Simple really

Im going to pipe it in before the zone valve because the dwh is constant and the heating is on a timer so i thought i can have one towel rad on always. I dont need another zone valve or trvs or pump. I am just going to balance the rad so the water doest short circuit in the rad and avoids the coil.
Simple really

So you will have no temp control exept boiler stat ?
Going to cost you a fortune to run not a good idea
Why do you want towel rad on all time

I'd have to agree go for an elec towel rad

Im not goimg for electric because there are no sockets in the bathroom and a surface run of the cables to a external plug wont look that nice also there is no bypass fitted so this will act as one.
If im not mistaken, won the cylinder stat act as a temperature control?

Im not goimg for electric because there are no sockets in the bathroom and a surface run of the cables to a external plug wont look that nice also there is no bypass fitted so this will act as one.
If im not mistaken, won the cylinder stat act as a temperature control?

Yes it will look your house you do what you think best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Towel rad piping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
I'm going to have my bathroom renovated and that includes changing my rusty old rad for a towel rail. I wanna cut down the costs as much as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello Plumbers I’ve replaced a 540mm high cast iron rad with 740mm high, like for like but still a 20mm valve extension was required. All was...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock