Discuss Toilet overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rob_in_notts

Hi all

Back again. I've now got an overflowing toilet and as I'm no expert I thought I'd ask them:) I think its the ballcock see pics below its quite an old system so I'm not sure how easy/hard it'll be to change it? Its dripping from the under side of the valve if that's what you call it. Where can I get a new one from?

IMG_0145.jpgIMG_0146.jpg

Thanks

Any plumbers merchant, ask for a brass side supply part 1 balltap ( or would require a simple rewasher if you know what you are doing.)

cheers woodsy armed with a bit more info I'll maybe see if there is any vids on youtube

Well you will not get a brass ball valve with a long enough arm so you will have to just replace washer or fit old arm on new valve or to me an even better idea would to replace the complete cistern,looks like it could do with it,you can get a new side entry plastic cistern with all the internals for about £20/£25 .. go on ..treat yourself :hair:

I found this one but I reckon its it gonna be easier to get a new ballcock than to try and replace the washer
[video=youtube;mTQy27l7qDQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTQy27l7qDQ&feature=related[/video]

I agree with puddle on this.
Just get a new cistern. You've had your moneys worth out of that plastic one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Measure the length of the arm as you can still get an extended arm / tail balltap (made by peglar i believe). The you tube video is basically correct although in my opinion he misses out a couple of steps ( no sound on my computer, so only going from the pictures) In essence if you can afford it, then i agree with puddle that it looks as if you have had your moneys worth from the cistern / components.

Last edited:
If you change the cistern/WC take care with that one. I learned the other day that some were made of asbestos.

That's plastic.
The asbestos ones were black and about 1cm thick.
You can tell it's plastic by the flush handle that rests on the back of the cistern.
:wink5:

Nothing wrong with that cistern. It aint leaking. It's just got got some interesting flora and fauna. Buy new float valve with correct length of arm, chuck it in, put the lid back on, forget about it for another few years..

If the guy lives in the clifton estate, i assure you its asbestos and around 50 years old.

It's plastic ... it's asbestos ... it's plastic ...

Like watching tennis this ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet overflow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back