Search the forum,

Discuss Cistern keeps overflowing in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My cistern kept overflowing randomly was told it was probably caused by the bottom filling valve failing I purchased one and
cistern valve.jpg
a plumber fitted it and tested it and all seemed well, we where away for a couple of weeks and came back and there was no evidence that it had been overflowing but after using the toilet for a number of times it seems worse than before! the level of the water in the tank is set at about 1/2 below the overflow pipe. the feed to the cistern is from a header tank and not the mains, it is slow to fill the cistern. Any ideas?

With a gravity feed you are better off with an “old fashioned” float valve- it will be quicker to fill than an equilibrium valve and is usually easily repaired.

However; if yours is not shutting off there could well be some debris obstructing the diaphragm seal - this is easily cleared using a mug as described on box/instructions.

Do you have an isolation valve to this toilet? Things can be improved if this is a full bore valve rather than a regular bsll-o-fix type.

Pictures of you set up and inside cistern would help.

With a gravity feed you are better off with an “old fashioned” float valve- it will be quicker to fill than an equilibrium valve and is usually easily repaired.

However; if yours is not shutting off there could well be some debris obstructing the diaphragm seal - this is easily cleared using a mug as described on box/instructions.

Do you have an isolation valve to this toilet? Things can be improved if this is a full bore valve rather than a regular bsll-o-fix type.

Pictures of you set up and inside cistern would help.
Here's my setup had been working for over 20 years without a problem

Attachments

• cistern.jpg
    cistern.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 13
  • isolationvalve.jpg
    isolationvalve.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 12
Yes ignore the pipe that’s for USA toilets trap primer

Reply to Cistern keeps overflowing in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock