Search the forum,

Discuss thorn apollo timer needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PlumbBobBob

hi chaps a customer of mine has just contacted me about the timer on their boiler. they say it's a thorn apollo and it needs a new timer they've sent me pics of the timer and the wiring diagram for it
IMG_7406.jpgIMG_7685.jpg can anyone tell me if you can still get them i suppose not lol. can you replace with something like a drayton or honeywell? thanks in advance. obviously not going to touch gas. if gas is involved in changing will tell them to get a gsr.

clock is NLA but you can fit a remote clock just follow the wiring instructions

cheers mate. so all the switches remain in use just with a separate clock?

the thermostat switch would but the other 2 would be dead

so somthing like a drayton one channel timer then? or this 78736.jpg

Apollo good old boilers / either way its only a switched live so any controller / programmer will do

As there are seperate boilers for heating and hot water you'll just need a single channel time switch.

You could probably fit a grasslin or other plug in mechanical timer into it. They are all the same size and fixings and the wiring would be easy to figure out.

if he gets a drayton lp series clock its suitable for both,you just position a link on the back to fp or gp
We know that I was wanting to find out what the system installed was and could advise

cheers martin i've got one of them in the van or the iflo version

We know that I was wanting to find out what the system installed was and could advise
we dont know yet steves not told us if its s plan,y plan or pumped heating and gravity domestics i carry the LP 2 channel in stock as it fits all

we dont know yet steves not told us if its s plan,y plan or pumped heating and gravity domestics i carry the LP 2 channel in stock as it fits all
Keep ya hair on
tamz has narrowed it down

Keep ya hair on
tamz has narrowed it down

not having a pop quality i could not remember what the appolo could be used on

as tamz just pointed out its fully pumped only i remember now its a low water content boiler so only suitable for FP

but you asked meWe know that I was wanting to find out what the system installed was and could advise

i dont know? but tamz as cleared it up

At least we old blokes are good for something

no pop intended its good we online mates

as i said there's two boilers this thorn and another one for the hot water i saw it last year when they moved in. if i recall correctly there is a pump under the thorn. the hot water boiler has replaced the cylinder i think it is a hot water only combi as there is only cwsc in loft.

as i said there's two boilers this thorn and another one for the hot water i saw it last year when they moved in. if i recall correctly there is a pump under the thorn. the hot water boiler has replaced the cylinder i think it is a hot water only combi as there is only cwsc in loft.

so the appolo drives the heating and a multipoint geyser type boiler does the hot water? now thats weird the apolo could drive a cylinder what a rubbish way to fit a system in that case steve you just need a basic single channel clock

it looks like the other boiler is mounted where the cylinder used to be one side of the window in a bedroom and the other thorn on the other side of the window in the same room.

been today to fit the new timer. got a horstmann centaurplus c17 in the end. have tried wiring it up but came to a dead end can anyone help please. which set of wires do i connect to, there are three pump, live to boiler and thermostat i think. in the apollo wiring diagram it says if fitting an external controller to remove a link between hw and on had a look but there isn't one i could see.

if the existing clock works on continous you can leave it in situ
wire the new clockwith a live and neutral to the motor and use the clock switch to break the wire to the switch live on boiler this is assuming that the boiler is purely doing heating and needs a time switch rather than a programmer

Last edited:
ignore the thermostat in the drawing steve

Attachments

• images heat only.jpg
    images heat only.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 15
thanks mark so to be clear in my fuddled mind lol. you take lne feed from same feed as boiler? and use thermo as switching wires? this a bit different from y plans lol

thanks mark so to be clear in my fuddled mind lol. you take lne feed from same feed as boiler? and use thermo as switching wires? this a bit different from y plans lol
live from boiler or anywhere else its common on the boiler circuit then intercept the switched live wire one end into the boiler S/L and into clock the other from the other terminal on the boiler into the clock you will have to trace what goes where on the boiler but basically your making a switch mains in, live in live out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to thorn apollo timer needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock