Search the forum,

Discuss This Trade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Has this trade quite literally gone to the wall . All I hear is payment issues money owed ,grief with endless regulations and manufacturers warranties are not worth the paper written on either. Customers expecting to pay pitta yet expect top end product . THE rates were better a few year back as well .

Training centers don't help the situation either and then we get endless reg alterations from gas safe who are deafening in the silence.

What do you guys think of our trade at this moment in time.

I'm quite new to it all but already see most of what you said is true.

Customers expecting to pay pitta yet expect top end product . THE rates were better a few year back as well .

What do you guys think of our trade at this moment in time.

Think it applies to all trades, customers have high expectations from make over programmes and glossy magazines, manufactures cutting costs and therefore quality, people being told that plumbers, sparkies etc can earn 50k a year whilst their salaries are frozen or reduced.

Suppose it peoples different perspectives.
Doing really well at the moment and have been for last couple of years. Been at it nearly 8/9 self employed and getting better all the time.
Very very rarely have payment issues although in the early days did get stung big time but that more a fault of my own being wet behind the ears much wiser now.

Dont think you can put it down to people or areas as bradford is up there with the poorest neighbour hoods.
I think a lot of it is how you come across to people and the type of people you target and your marketing. Most of my work comes through my website and google business listing as it has over 20 5star reviewsand growing.

I must admit that I don't have a lot of money problems, had a few grumble I'm too expensive but always paid up, I've only had to threaten 1 builder with court and he then paid cash 2 days later and I think to date I only have 1 outstanding payment of ÂŁ62 from a pis head.

The reg changes has always been around as far as I can remember some I agree with and some I don't but I just try to go with the flow.

It doesn't matter how cheap you are, someone will always moan about you being expensive.
Besides if no one moans about you being expensive, you need to put your prices up?

I just paid yesterday, for my dog who caught his Jew claw on my car seat, the amount of ÂŁ87-50 for 1 hour out of hours call.
I took him to the vet and it was around 1-30pm, they are open as emergency vet 24 hours.
Never let anyone say you are too expensive, if they do just tell them to call a vet out if they want to see expensive.

its going down hill fast, what doesnt help is all the diyers/ foreigners/ firemen / have a go lot doing the work for 8 -15 per hour and not qualified no insurances fly by knights

We'll be running our 2016 "State of the trade" survey in the next few weeks, so we will see what the responses are like.

I have to say that from our perspective, business is booming.

We'll be running our 2016 "State of the trade" survey in the next few weeks, so we will see what the responses are like.

Would like to see the previous year's results, are there any links?

That's because al, the new condensers only last five minutes.

Ive just been on a job today where a customer has had his own plumber in to do the plumbing and the kitchen fitters where starting this morning, well they got straight on the phone for me to come sort it out, gas pipe work was all over the place no clips, hot and cold was a mixture of plastic & copper just added on to various bits nothing good about It, even a w/m hose and 2 valves as a length of pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to This Trade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I am currently looking for work as a trainee gas service/ repair engineer in the Merseyside area. I am a commercial pipefitter/ heating engineer looking to upskill and move into domestic gas, specifically service and repair but install work would also interest me. I have over 12 years...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
R
Morning all. Well, week one was fun, but week 2 started to get a bit boring after a while. Not for CH4 obviously, but for everyone else. So lets just remind everyone of the basic deal: Later on, there will be another freebie for Intergas ****s only - but for now, we are only open to...
Replies
Views
R
Here's the back up poll for people who were ineligible for the free boiler, but nevertheless put pen to paper in an orgy of rhyming couplets and iambic pentameter: Vote for your favourite and here we go again Go vote, young man!
Replies
Views
Masood
M
A
Hi everyone, i am posting this on behalf of hoping to find a placement, or some experience alongside someone in the mansfield area. i have currently finished college this year studying a level 2 plumbing course based on the 6035 module, i am due to extend my training and start college again...
Replies
Views
andyh1984
A
Emailed a company very local to me regarding their course and fast track and end off qualifications etc. For those interested in opinions, here's the good lady's reply. Hi Paul, Paul has forward me your email to take a look at. Sorry for the wall of text below, but I have tried to summarise...
Replies
Views
Ermintrude
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock