Discuss System sucking in air - suggested fix is convert to closed - looking for more info in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

They can't make the minimum lower than the theoretical, but poor design can certainly raise it.
[automerge]1586279368[/automerge]
I think I am back on track now.....I was actually correct in post #11 but lost my way after that.
I found a reference to the static head required for a Wilo Yonis Pico (like my own) and it requires 3M @ 95C.
Vapour pressure @ 95C = 8.63M Atmos pressure = 10.34M
NPSHA = Static Head(M) + atmos.press (M. absolute) - vapour pressure (M.absolute)
NPSHA = 3+10.34-8.63 or 4.71M
Even if the static head were 0 then the NPSHA would still be 1.71M.

Going back to the old selectric which requires 1.4M @ 85C
Vapour pressure @ 85C = 5.9M Atmos pressure = 10.34M
NPSHA = Static Head(M) + atmos.press (M. absolute) - vapour pressure (M.absolute)
NPSHA = 1.4+10.34-5.9 or 5.84M
Even if the static head were 0 then the NPSHA would still be 4.44M.

Last edited:
Grundfos states the following for the current Alpha1 and Alpha3 Pumps

Liquid temperature75 °C90 °C110 °C
Inlet pressure0.5 m head2.8 m head10.8 m head
0.005 MPa0.028 MPa0.108 MPa
0.05 bar0.28 bar1.08 bar

For the UPS3 the numbers are:

Liquid termperature75 °C95 °C
Inlet pressure0.005 MPa0.05 MPa
0.05 bar0.5 bar

3m static head plus atm is roughly 1.3 bar minus saturation pressure of.0.8461 bar for a temperature of 95°C gives NSPHA of 0.45 bar, which is below the requirement?

A static head of 3.3M is required IF 0.5 bar is the NPSR?

Vapour pressure @ 95C = 8.63M Atmos pressure = 10.34M
NPSHA = 3.3+10.34-8.63 or 5.01M (0.5bar)

I think we're getting a bit muddled between us. I will attach an image if not for your benefit but others.
My understanding is simple. The NPSHA must be equal to or greater than the saturation pressure. If I'm reading you right from your example above the 3.3m static head is not enough for a flow temperature of 95°C to avoid cavitation. By my calculations you would need a static head of roughly 8m above centre line of pump, whether you raise header tank or lower position of pump and of course altitude will have an effect as well on atmospheric pressure.
Screenshot_20200406-203703_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm happy enough with my interpretation of it, At 95C the vapour (saturation) pressure is 8.63M BUT the atmospheric pressure alone is 10.34M and any pressure > the vapour pressure of 8.63M will stop the vapour forming, Even with zero static head the atmospheric pressure is giving a NPSA of (10.34-8.63) or 1.71M but Grundfos have a NPSR of 5M so a tank with its water level 3.3M above the pump CL must supply the remainder, (static head of 3.3M.)
so the NPSHA=NPSR?

The Americans generally explain things in simple terms, try this very old explanation that I have had for years, It talks about NPSH, NPSHA and NPSHR.
The first few paragraphs explains it well, I think.

Attachments

• NPSH1.pdf
    757.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Reply to System sucking in air - suggested fix is convert to closed - looking for more info in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am replacing our 11 year old boiler (due to H.Ex. leak) with a new one. This is in a "sealed" system with red expansion vessel in airig...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, My first visit here in quite a while and it's in part to share the news that I have finally gone over to the dark side! Although my 30...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock