Search the forum,

Discuss Starting up a business. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all. Thanks for accepting me.
I'm hoping some of you might be able to help?

I'm 36 years old, last year I completed my level 2 City and guilds. I've been working the odd day here the odd week there, for a gas engineer and have picked up lots of valuable insights.

I'm struggling to find anyone to take me on so I can do my nvq part. So I thought I'd start up my own business, working evenings and weekends. Just doing the things I know I can do well. (not gas, don't worry!)

My question is this....
Do I need any formal qualifications to be able to work as a plumber, other than the level 2 I currently have?

I'm thinking about doing a G3 unvented course so that I have a bit more scope as to what types of work I can take. But is there anything els I should know about, or is there anyone in the North Somerset region looking to take on a mature apprentice?

Happy to read and reply to constructive feedback. Thanks for reading.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm but if people employ a Plumber they generally think they are employing a time served tradesman.

Qualifications are good but it is the experience that makes it. Can you not work for a Plumbing firm as a Plumbers mate and work toward it that way?

I've been trying to find employment for the past 12 months mate. Which is proving difficult, so that's why I've chosen to start a business doing only small jobs that I know I'm more than capable of.

I'd happily take a job with a firm, but I can't find one that want to take me on. Plus, I'm not 18 living at mum and dad's, so need a real wage. It's a tough one as I know I'm good, but can't afford alow paid job.

If you do start up “on the side” don’t forget the insurances and HMRC obligations
Of course. I will be doing it all above board and properly. I'm serious and passionate about the work. Which is why I thought of doing this. I don't want to be known as a cowboy, which is why I'm offering customers a free visit to size up what needs doing before I land myself in hot water (pun unintended but I'll take that lol,)

Hi all. Thanks for accepting me.
I'm hoping some of you might be able to help?

I'm 36 years old, last year I completed my level 2 City and guilds. I've been working the odd day here the odd week there, for a gas engineer and have picked up lots of valuable insights.

I'm struggling to find anyone to take me on so I can do my nvq part. So I thought I'd start up my own business, working evenings and weekends. Just doing the things I know I can do well. (not gas, don't worry!)

My question is this....
Do I need any formal qualifications to be able to work as a plumber, other than the level 2 I currently have?

I'm thinking about doing a G3 unvented course so that I have a bit more scope as to what types of work I can take. But is there anything els I should know about, or is there anyone in the North Somerset region looking to take on a mature apprentice?

Happy to read and reply to constructive feedback. Thanks for reading.
Thanks for joining the forum and posting an introduction. If you ever need help with the forum itself please message me by clicking on my name to start a new conversation. Or @Dan me and that'll notify me but I'm not the quickest to reply that way.

Reply to Starting up a business. in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock