Discuss Shower pump recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have been asked to fit a shower pump for someone as the pressure isnt great, all fed off the tanks. Whats a decent pump to fit and what kind of pressure would you recommmend? I havnt had many dealings with pumps so not sure what manufacturers are the best etc. Its just a standard shower, no overly big shower head and no body jets etc.

I like Stewart Turner pumps.
Never had one let me down. They can be dearer than some others, but you only get what you pay for.
MM

Ive used grundfos and salamander before, without any problems. Might have to give these Stewart Turner pumps a look though.

stuart turner for me as well very quiet too. you probably want about 2-2.5 bar

it's down to personal preference, i like a more powerful one lol

I'm with Steve B and the others on this. I've got a Stuart Turner 2.6 bar Showermate which gives a good, quiet shower. 1.5 bar might be okay with a small rose/handset, but might feel a bit feeble with a larger rose.

Hi Another thing to consider is whether to instal a single or twin impelor. The single is installed between the shower valve and the rose and is the easier to instal but can cause cavitation which in turn causes vibration/noise. I always fit the twin impelor which pumps hot/cold independant of one another and allows the pump to automatically switch to positive or negative settings dependant on head in relation to rose and cold water cistern. It also allows more alternatives for positioning the pump.

no the single impeller pump is not fitted between the shower valve and the rose. it is fitted at the base of the hot cylinder like a twin impeller one. as per manufacturer instructions.

Used to install salamander until I tried a stuart turner last year - converted. Far superior imho

Stuart turner every time you want it to last you buy the best 1.5 bar is ample for a single shower but if you want more power then i agree with steve 2.5 bar

Hi A single impelor pump has to handle the mixed hot and cold water, the pump only has one inlet and outlet at one end of the pump housing. the only place the water is mixed is between the shower valve and the rose. The twin impelor has 4 connections, one set on each end of the motor. Ideally the cold supply should be piped direct from a separate connection from the cold water cistern to the inlet of one end of the pump, this is to stop the pump causing a negative force on other fittings. The hot should ideally be connected into a reduntant direct secondary return connection on the cylinder for the same reason, if not it should connect into the hot supply as the first connection off the cylinder, if not there is a chance it will draw the open vent and cause an air lock. hope this helps

Essex Flange into the HW cylinder if no secondary tapping is best.

Hi A single impelor pump has to handle the mixed hot and cold water, the pump only has one inlet and outlet at one end of the pump housing. the only place the water is mixed is between the shower valve and the rose. The twin impelor has 4 connections, one set on each end of the motor. Ideally the cold supply should be piped direct from a separate connection from the cold water cistern to the inlet of one end of the pump, this is to stop the pump causing a negative force on other fittings. The hot should ideally be connected into a reduntant direct secondary return connection on the cylinder for the same reason, if not it should connect into the hot supply as the first connection off the cylinder, if not there is a chance it will draw the open vent and cause an air lock. hope this helps
please read and digest

Single impeller pumps are designed to pump either hot or cold water to a shower or outlet like a tap.

These are most commonly used to pump the hot side of a water system (gravity fed) where the cold water is mains fed.
They are also used as a separate hot and cold pair of pumps, these are used where the cold water storage tank and hot water cylinder are not close in location to each other so for practical reasons two pumps would be used instead of a twin pump.

Hi you never pump hot water to a shower valve and take the other from the mains. reasons.There is a constant pressure on the shower valve from the cold mains where as the hot has to react to either the positive or negative pressure on the sensor, this results in a delay to the hot supply . Secondly the reason you use a twin implelor is to equaliase the hot and cold in order to balance the valve. Thirdly the cold mains pressure at you house is not constant and can have large pressure variances due to demand at peak times where you pump has a constand pressure. Please do not insult me by asking me to read and digest it is not becoming of this forum

Hi you never pump hot water to a shower valve and take the other from the mains. reasons.There is a constant pressure on the shower valve from the cold mains where as the hot has to react to either the positive or negative pressure on the sensor, this results in a delay to the hot supply . Secondly the reason you use a twin implelor is to equaliase the hot and cold in order to balance the valve. Thirdly the cold mains pressure at you house is not constant and can have large pressure variances due to demand at peak times where you pump has a constand pressure. Please do not insult me by asking me to read and digest it is not becoming of this forum

Which is why you fit a pressure reducing valve on the cold main feed to the shower and reduce it to a similar pressure to that reduced by the shower pump. Single impeller pumps can also be used to increase the hot water pressure throughout a property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower pump recommendations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back