Discuss Sealin flues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo21

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Just had call from a customer who's had a new gas supply, the carriers have been in to re commission the boiler.
And aparantly the flue has to be sealed internally and externally! Anyone heard of this, or is it bunkum?
Its a combi, horizontal flue.

I remembered reading this and thought it was relation to the flange being put against the wall on the inside without sealing , , on the introduction

I reckon it relates to the external rings, people not pointing up behind them.

I've always done both as standard. Feels a bit unfinished to leave a gap around the flue on the inside.

Yeah it should be sealed inside and out regardless of collars. What a load of old carp

I think of the inner one as a dress plate tbh.

At the end of the day Leo if it was single brick for example it would only require a seal from external combustion so you've done that , even a cavity wall your still preventing combustion re entering with an outside seal ,
This below shows numpties using the rings and not sealing atall,

http://www.hseni.gov.uk/gsis-010-flue-terminals-safety-alert.pdf

Personally point up inside and out with mortar only takes a few minutes and when done the flue isnt going to shift, even if some scally dangles off it.

MI don't help sometimes as they say you can install from the inside and form a seal by pulling the weather collar back against the wall.

Worcester allow the black sealing ring to be a weather seal apparently no mortar needed, but I always mortar outside as some Scrote could easily pull the black ring off!

I always seal inside and out.

What classification would you guys give ifs its sealed outside with sand and cement but not inside on a std flue kit?

Always seal inside and out, pre mix mortar and ready mix plaster nice neat job, looks good all round

To me if its a cavity wall and not sealed on the inside its NCS, building regs requires that our work doesn't leave draughts, eg broken flooring, holes drilled too big, excessive damage etc,

From memory Wb are the only manufacturer ive seen who has a detailed guide to sealing from inside using the rubber collar. They do require you to seal the gap from the insider behind the rubber seal.

Its shocking the number of flues not sealed, i serviced a WB with a tele flue last year which i reached up for and pulled on to see if it was secure and i pulled the flue out, no sand and cement, no tape and screw...... shocking somebody was to lazy to even put the screw in.

The premix sand and cement you get in wee tubs from Plumbcenter is goof for filling in though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sealin flues in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Oily smell from boiler recently before failed. Great plumber sorted though when opened external baffle at front of sealed flue the internal spring...
Replies
Views
Looking for a flue extender for a Protherm 60-80CI boiler. House is having external wall insulation and needs flue extending to avoid a new...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My son moved to a new build home in Cornwall last November. Yesterday evening he found a quantity of water beneath the Ideal Combi boiler and a...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I was hoping you could help with a potential boiler build query for my father. He has recently had a new boiler installed via British...
Replies
Views
Has anyone else come across this situation? I keep detecting products of combustion inside the casing of Ideal Logic boilers. I've replaced every...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock