Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss screw sizes and wall plugs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
use them lots with the plumbers i work for, never bought any myself. never thought much about them. my understanding was we've drilled 5.5mm/6mm/7mm holes, and then use 8 or 10 size screws with red and brown wall plugs. all depending on how crumbly or tough the wall was and how slim or chunky the plugs were...

so now i need to buy some screws and plugs for myself... so i was thinking big box of 8 and 10 size screws of various lengths and a couple packs of red and brown plugs..

but then....why does the screwfix website say red plugs need screw size 4 or 5 and brown 4.5 to 6 ?? that's loads smaller than what we use isn't it?

It's all down to experience. Sometimes you need a fatter screw in crumbly substrates to get a better grip.

Remember that the screw needs to pass through and out of the end of the plug to get maximum grip due to the wedge effect (the hole in the plug gets narrower towards the tip). There is no need to use a screw which penetrates very far beyond the end of the plug as the part not in the plug will have no effect on the grip.

but then....why does the screwfix website say red plugs need screw size 4 or 5 and brown 4.5 to 6 ?? that's loads smaller than what we use isn't it?

you are talking about gauge and the screwfix website quote above is talking about mm shank diameter ie imperial and metric sizing.
10 gauge = 5mm
8 guage = 4mm

also nylon plugs (usually grey) give a higher load bearing capacity than plastic plugs (usually coloured).

Thanks for the advice and info. But what should I get then? A box of 8 and 10 size screws or one with a full range of sizes? I don't want to end up with hundreds of screws I won't use...

........Replied before seeing that last post. Thanks for the info, that clears it up then.

Last edited:
i have shed loads of brown plugs and inch and half 10's, seem to work on most things for me

Believe me, you WILL use all sorts of gauges and sizes in this game! Perhaps ones over 80mm less frequently, but you will need to box things in, secure panels etc at some time in your work!

depends what your screwing but generally 1 1/2 8s n 10s and 2 8s n 10s are the most used with both sizes or plugs then id get some thing longer for those bad walls and you might need smaller for stats timeclocks etc then theres pan screws toggles and plaserboard fixings well worth getting an empty metal case from screwfix to keep them in the ready filled cases tend to have loads you dont need ive not found any benifits from the dearer screws for general stuff

Believe me, you WILL use all sorts of gauges and sizes in this game! Perhaps ones over 80mm less frequently, but you will need to box things in, secure panels etc at some time in your work!

have you tried those silicon screws?

I always use the fish type plugs as they grip better when tightening and always have a hollow section at the front which doesn't put too much pressure on tiles or top plater layers.

You will also need some plasterboard plugs

have you tried those silicon screws?
Would prefer Evo Grip, Gripfix of No Nails etc, but silicone does have its uses to stick things down (provided you are never going to want to get them off again).

You will also need some brass screws for attaching basins, WC pans and cisterns (NEVER use steel as these will rust). I use 8 and 10 gauge, 50mm and 70mm brass for this. Stainless is just as good but more expensive.

You also want some of those screw cover caps in both sizes (see Screwfix) to hide the tops of the screws and act as washers when securing porcelain.

Last edited:
And my favourite -

"Sticks Like Sh*t"

Yes, for those who don't know, there really IS a product out there called this!

It actually does as well!

:D

Red plugs are the new brown plugs, like kellogs corn flakes id forgotten how good they were.

Get yourself a Goldscrew Tradecase from Screwfix and some red & brown Rawl Uno plugs. I use these and they are fantastic.

Rawlplug® Uno Plugs Brown 4-6mm Pack of 96 - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

Goldscrew General Trade Case Zinc & Yellow Passivated 1400Pcs - NoLinkingToThis, Where the Trade Buys

i use them straight screws as you dont need a plug. you dont even need a screwdriver but a hammer, brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to screw sizes and wall plugs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock