Discuss Salamander Pump! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcniven

Whats you guys opinion on this?

Installing Salamander pump RHP75 (for whole house installations)

Both CW and Hw off storage will be pumped to ...

WHB x 2
Mixer Shower and WC x 2

Just a quick thing... the current pump is faulty, and he has to sometimes drop his shower head for flow or turn on a whb tap to active pump!

Just a quick thing... the current pump is faulty, and he has to sometimes drop his shower head for flow or turn on a whb tap to active pump!

Could maybe be incorrect head pressure from shower head to bottom of tank.could be a faulty flow switch on existing pump

I personally would not fit salamander,I just use Stuart Turner ,why use inferior products ,when you do not need to,salamander to me have had to many chances to get in right and can not or are not bothered enough to do so

imho

After being a career long salamander fan, I installed a stuart turner pump, no more salamander for me.

Agree with all above posts. Check if the pump has air free hot supply, & also check if it needed a negative head instead of a positive head pump. (pipes going overhead & down & doing long runs will need negative pump even though shower head may be way below base of cwst.)
Use Stuart & Turner pumps if possible.

If I fit a salamander pump I make sure the customer has the guarantee card with the callout number I always tell them if theres a problem with the pump they must ring Salamander direct they do seem to come out pretty quickly and sort the problem but as Puddle says best to fit stuart turner just for peace of mind.

and for peace and quiet. salamander are too noisy for me after hearing a stuart turner.

salamander are rubbish. they leak like hell and the reed switch for setting the pressure is forever giving problems.

Must say I agree about Salamander pumps being inferior. I fitted a whole-house Salamander about 4 years ago and within 2 weeks it was leaking at a seal. Got a new pump from Salamander (they were good about this) but I noticed that this too was weeping at the same seal a few months later! Third pump fitted has not gone wrong since, but I would no longer fit Salamander after this experience.

Valid comments PlumbDr but don't you think an installer should know if the job needs a positive or negative head pump, an expensive and embarrassing error IMO.

Salamander's after sales service may be great but I prefer Stuart Turner as over the many years of using them I have only had one dodgy unit which was replaced without quibble.

Hi – I am the Technical Supervisor for Salamander Pumps, and I’m obviously disappointed with these comments as they don’t reflect well on my area of responsibility!! A big ask I know, but if any of you have had specific issues with Salamander I’d like to invite you to contact me directly, if I don’t know what went wrong then I wont be able to put it right!! If you called our Technical team for advice you may have been given a reference number or you may still have the serial number of the pump you have had problems with- If you have that information great, it will allow me to check the background to help answer any questions! I Would love to hear from you if possible? Email me - [email protected]

Thanks

Mike Oxley – Technical Supervisor, Salamander Pumps

You asked for reasons why S & T are prefered. Well after using Salamander and then S & T I'll limit myself to just what I see as design issues. Hot water with plastic bodies means there is the possibility of slow creep under pressure and hence leaks. The body O rings do not seem be temperature rated, else why change the type when sending a repair kit? Finally the anti vibration mounts - great while new, compact down with time to a solid and the noise level go up.

Agreed Stuart Turner all the way for me too. Whenever fitting a new pump or replacement I always like to ensure pump has designated feeds (hot and cold). Cold direct from storage tank and hot from either surrey or Essex flange or similar. Sounds as though your static head is not sufficient to activate pump flow switch, either a universal or negative head pump should resolve this
Kevin

You asked for reasons why S & T are prefered. Well after using Salamander and then S & T I'll limit myself to just what I see as design issues. Hot water with plastic bodies means there is the possibility of slow creep under pressure and hence leaks. The body O rings do not seem be temperature rated, else why change the type when sending a repair kit? Finally the anti vibration mounts - great while new, compact down with time to a solid and the noise level go up.

Pretty sure things have moved on in the last 3yrs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Salamander Pump! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock