S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Solutions
any one see anything wrong with this eg t rule etc sealed system

3T.png

as normally any suggestions welcome and thnx again

Probably just the way it's drawn but the blue return pipe bypasses the mag filter.

Probably just the way it's drawn but the blue return pipe bypasses the mag filter.

Return from heating onto main system return mag is return to boiler

Well, I can't say it's wrong, cos I can't tell if I'm reading the drawing right so excuse me if I've misunderstood Shaun. I would put fill/expansion in behind pump. You may have done that so apologies if you have.
You want as much of system under positive pressure as poss, so neutral point needs to be close to back of pump

P.s. Don't change your day job to become a draughtsman.

Last edited:
Well, I can't say it's wrong, cos I can't tell if I'm reading the drawing right so excuse me if I've misunderstood Shaun. I would put fill/expansion in behind pump. You may have done that so apologies if you have.
You want as much of system under positive pressure as poss, so neutral point needs to be close to back of pump

P.s. Don't change your day job to become a draughtsman.

Good point, but doesn't the expansion need to be on the return ? That's the way I was thought always willing to do things different

And you don't need to worrie about me there :D never going to work in an office trust me

Not necessarily. The reason it is always on return on modern boilers is because the pump is on the return. Hence the filling loop and exp vess position.

This entry point, (just like an open vented system where cold feed /expansion pipe enters), creates a neutral point. Between neutral and pump rear is negative, from front of pump through system and back to neutral point is under positive pressure. It will work without doing that of course but your whole system would be under a slight negative pressure and that's best avoided. You need to try and design any system with a positive pressure if possible.

This is theory and there are exceptions to the rule but in general thats the best way

Last edited:
Not necessarily. The reason it is always on return on modern boilers is because the pump is on the return. Hence the filling loop and exp vess position.

This entry point, (just like an open vented system where cold feed /expansion pipe enters), creates a neutral point. Between neutral and pump rear is negative, from front of pump through system and back to neutral point is under positive pressure. It will work without doing that of course but your whole system would be under a slight negative pressure and that's best avoided. You need to try and design any system with a positive pressure if possible.

This is theory and there are exceptions to the rule but in general thats the best way

Thank you for explaining it will amend it to behind the pump, other than that anything else you see ?

Can you not just fit the pump on the return Shaun? (That's if the pump is outside the boiler I am assuming?). That would make your drawing all spot on then. Expansion vessel on suction side of pump etc. Not that it makes much difference, as long as it wasn't linked immediately after the pump, like some do it.
On another point, - I fit the PRV to the boiler pipes, where expansion vessel is not at boiler.

Can you not just fit the pump on the return Shaun? (That's if the pump is outside the boiler I am assuming?). That would make your drawing all spot on then. Expansion vessel on suction side of pump etc. Not that it makes much difference, as long as it wasn't linked immediately after the pump, like some do it.
On another point, - I fit the PRV to the boiler pipes, where expansion vessel is not at boiler.

the pump is external (worcester 24ri) and could do you mean like this?

3T.png

and on this one i couldnt fit a prv as all of it is under the floor / in boxing

It's getting there slowly

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's been a pig of a job airing cupboard being too small really and joist layout

Nearly there rads are done and piped up, least I can get of my knees now :) just tank in the loft for the hot water

image.jpg

Is that a domestic job Shuan??

Yes mate tbh it's been a pita all the way, walls made of straw etc

So hanging the rads and boiler was fun, and then pipe layout trying to fit everything in one joist

Yes mate tbh it's been a pita all the way, walls made of straw etc

So hanging the rads and boiler was fun, and then pipe layout trying to fit everything in one joist

HAHAHA Not had to deal with straw walls yet so lucky me, love how easy Unistrut is for clipping.

HAHAHA Not had to deal with straw walls yet so lucky me, love how easy Unistrut is for clipping.

It is esp when there's nothing to fix other than ply like on plasterboard walls etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to s plan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock